Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

May 14th, 2006 10:00

Unable to install drivers for ethernet after re-format.

Hi.

After our computer was infected with serious spyware and a week of trying to get rid of it I decided to re-format the PC (Dimension 8300).

I now find that windows is unable to detect my cable broadband connection. When I access Device Manager > Other devices, everything has a yellow question mark and properties tell me the devices are un-installed. Could this be why I am unable to connect tot he internet?

The devices that are un-installed are: Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, PCI Input device, SM Bus controller, USB controller, Video controller, Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

I have tried using the Blue resource disc but it keeps telling me that the drivers cannot be found.

Thanks for any advice.

1.7K Posts

markt247

My aplogies for pointing you to the wrong chipset drivers

Please use the link Osprey provided.

Osprey4

My thanks for picking that one up

Ceri

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Go to your support home page, reinstall guide and look for the information on reinstalling the drivers.

1.7K Posts

Hi,

You need to install your Chipset drivers immediately after a re-install of your Operating System.

Once these are re-installed you can then install the drivers for additional items such as Ethernet.

Third one down on this list

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_4300&os=WW1&osl=EN

hth

Ceri

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Ceri listed the drivers for the 4300. Here are the 8300 drivers.

13 Posts

@ceri sheeran wrote:

Hi,

You need to install your Chipset drivers immediately after a re-install of your Operating System.

Once these are re-installed you can then install the drivers for additional items such as Ethernet.

Third one down on this list

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_4300&os=WW1&osl=EN

hth

Ceri

Thanks very much for your help. Been looking around all the guides for hours, so advice to check the guides again almost made me scream heh.

Will these be ok with the dimension 8300?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Network adapter.

13 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies. Under Dimension 8300 there is only Network:

Dell System: Dimension 8300

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition

Component Category: NetworkSearch Criteria

There is no on-line software reinstall documentation available for the above Dell System, Operating System, and Component Category combination using the Software Reinstall Guide. Please check the original documentation and user's manuals that accompanied your Dell computer.Note:  You may also be able to find component specific installation instructions using Dell Documents or the Dell Knowledge Base.

Message Edited by markt247 on 05-14-200606:24 AM

Message Edited by markt247 on 05-14-200606:24 AM

13 Posts

In the component category do I choose chipset?

13 Posts

May 14th, 2006 11:00

Its ok, I installed the correct chipset drivers for the 8300.

I cant believe how awkward this is turning out to be. I have never had such problems with installing ethernet drivers on previous computers.

I have installed the chipset drivers and then ran the resource cd to see which drivers are held. I have then installed Intel 10/100 Lom drivers (are these the right drivers? god knows cos the cd has multiple drivers), but everything else on the cd does not refer to the un-installed devices and the devices are still listed as un-installed. Am I missing a step?

13 Posts

May 14th, 2006 13:00

Hi, I am still stuck with the ethernet drivers.

I started all over again, re-installed windows, then the resource cd and the chipset drivers. When I boot up the resource cd I get these with a tick next to them:

Network (NIC) Drivers

• Intel 10/100 LOM

Controller Drivers

• Intel Chipset Software Utility

Those are the only items on the cd which have a tick. I cant find anything else that relates to the un-installed devices as mentioned in my first post. Am I missing something on the cd or in the installation process? I have been on with this all day and would really appreciate some help.

13 Posts

May 14th, 2006 14:00

The device that is un-installed is the ethernet controller, I am assuming that this is what is preventing me from accessing the internet.

When I right click>properties it tells me it is an unknown device. So I dont know what drivers I need to install the controller (if any).

Under Net Adapters is says I have a 1394 Net Adapter and that is working fine.

So I am unsure what to do next. You mention buying a network card, does this kind of problem occur often? I might just buy a card cos they seem easier to set up.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

1.7K Posts

Hi,

Check in Device Manager to see exactly what NIC you have installed.

Once you have this written down so you can remember it, update the driver for the NIC.within Device Manager.

You may find it easier to install a PCI network card, which will come with driver software on disk. 

Then disable the on board NIC in BIOS.

Ceri

11.9K Posts

@markt247 wrote:

Hi, I am still stuck with the ethernet drivers.

I started all over again, re-installed windows, then the resource cd and the chipset drivers. When I boot up the resource cd I get these with a tick next to them:

Network (NIC) Drivers

• Intel 10/100 LOM

Controller Drivers

• Intel Chipset Software Utility

Those are the only items on the cd which have a tick. I cant find anything else that relates to the un-installed devices as mentioned in my first post. Am I missing something on the cd or in the installation process? I have been on with this all day and would really appreciate some help.

If the NIC card is working, go online and download the other drivers including AUDIO, VIDEO card, etc.  If it's not, find them on the CD and install them.

326 Posts

May 14th, 2006 15:00

For Dell 8300 .. the on board NIC is usually the Intel version

Try this driver here:

NIC Driver

11.9K Posts

May 14th, 2006 15:00

@markt247 wrote:

The device that is un-installed is the ethernet controller, I am assuming that this is what is preventing me from accessing the internet.

When I right click>properties it tells me it is an unknown device. So I dont know what drivers I need to install the controller (if any).

Under Net Adapters is says I have a 1394 Net Adapter and that is working fine.

So I am unsure what to do next. You mention buying a network card, does this kind of problem occur often? I might just buy a card cos they seem easier to set up.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

1394 is not it.

Try the BROADCOM gigabit driver next.

No Events found!