Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2015 10:00

Vostro 200 / G33M02 MB w/ orange power LED - No POST

Hello, world!

I have a Dell Vostro 200 (Mid 2007) with a G33M02 motherboard.

It was working fine until 2 years ago, before stowing it in a closet. I tried to turn it on now, but it won't boot.

The power button and motherboard LEDs turns on (orange) when I turn on the PSU. The PSU and processor fans turn on and keep at maximum speed and there are no beeps signaling either errors found during POST or POST completed OK.

I disconnected all internal and external  peripherals, removed memory modules and coin cell battery from the motherboard, reinstalled the CPU, reseated the internal cables and cleared the CMOS memory, but the symptoms are the same. I cleaned the memory modules and CPU contacts, which didn't seem to help. I can't see any visible obvious problems on the motherboard (such as bulging capacitors), but I thinks it is the culprit.

Does anybody have any other suggestions to figure out exactly where is the problem?

I brought the computer to a repair shop, but they said they also suspect the motherboard is faulty and offered me a costly upgrade...

If the problem is really the motherboard, could anybody recommend an alternative replacement? I might go for it (even more if it is easy to find it in Brazil).

Thank you!  :D

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 13th, 2015 11:00

Did you "replace" the CMOS battery with a new one? You can get them at any local store. They are generic. That would be a inexpensive item to replace as part of your troubleshooting. The Dell part number is KU144 (3v, 190MAH, Coincell, Lithium).

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 13th, 2015 11:00

KU144 is a CR2032  DL2032 coin cell.

Most grocery stores and pharmacy's carry them because they are used in Huge wear around neck hearing aids as well as blood sugar machines.

http://www.amazon.com/Eveready-Lithium-Batteries-CR2032-DL2032/dp/B001HCFNDE

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Duracell-DURACELL-DL2032B2PK-2032-Lithium-Battery/40726947

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 15:00

Thank you both, and sorry for the late reply.

Yes, I have tried turning it on with the old battery, without battery and also with a new battery (even though in more than 25 years of experience I have never seen a computer not turning on due to a bad CMOS battery).

Then I remembered I have replaced the original motherboard of this Vostro when it had the exact same symptom! So, everything points to the fact that the motherboard is malfunctioning.

Could anybody recommend a suitable replacement?

Thank you!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 22nd, 2015 17:00

Dell Motherboard G679R FM586 G33M02 For Inspiron 530, 530s and Vostro 200, 400

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Motherboard-G679R-FM586-Compatible/dp/B008VWCEPI

3 Posts

April 23rd, 2015 09:00

Thanks, Speedstep, but I'm (also) looking for alternatives.

The most obvious one would be the G33M03, but currently available on NewEgg (Micro ATX, LGA 775, up to 8GB, 1 PCI Express x16) are:

ASRock G41C-GS LGA 775 Intel G41 + ICH7 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

ASRock G31M-GS R2.0 LGA 775 Intel G31 + ICH7 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-S2PT LGA 775 Intel G41 + ICH7 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Open Box: GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-S2PT LGA 775 Intel G41 + ICH7 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

If / when I get a replacement I'll post a "review".

1 Message

July 17th, 2015 12:00

Hello.
Recently I repaired the same a motherboard (the PC is turned on, the fan on the processor at maximum speed, which signals a computer does not supply). Replaced chip ISL6312 PWM SRZ - CPU power management.

Photo below before replacing the chip.

First, measure the voltage of the processor - to be about 1.25 volts.

Just need to make sure that the FETs are OK.

Chip PWM on aliexpress about 1 US dollar.

If there is no skill in repairing a level bring the motherboard in the service - repair is not very expensive and is done quickly for about 15 minutes.

Good luck.

No Events found!