Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2010 19:00

Vostro 200 not booting up

I have a Vostro 200 that when booting up, it gets stuck in the blue Dell logo screen.  I have tried all the hints I could find on-line, but nothing works, including as I try to restart, holding down Ctrl-Alt-Delete, holding down and/or tapping F8 to try to get it into a safe mode, etc.  I am not super computer literate, so please make it simple.  Thanks sooo much!!!

6.4K Posts

May 17th, 2010 11:00

If it is sticking at the Dell logo, it isn't making through the self test or it is waiting on a device to provide boot code.  See if you can tap F2 or F12 at the logo and get it to boot into its BIOS setup or the one time boot menu.  If not, try removing anything that you have connected to it, leaving only the keyboard, mouse, and monitor hooked up and try booting again.

USB devices that have memory can be mistaken for boot devices so the machine sits and waits on it.  If it isn't that, it can be a loose connection to one of the internal devices or to the memory.  Since you need to open the machine to do anything about possible loose connections let's wait and cross that bridge when you reach it.

No Events found!