Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 7th, 2017 02:00

Vostro 270, No video ports work except VGA

Hi, could someone help me with this please - my VGA port works fine but I have several other ports that just do not work at all.

I have a Vostro 270 which has the following additional ports:

DisplayPort: (I don't have a Displayport cable so I'm using a Displayport to VGA adapter) - it is not recognised at all by the PC/Monitor

DVI-Dual Link (Again I don't have a cable for this to I'm using a VGA converter) - it is not being recognised at all by the PC/Monitor.

My eventual aim is to get a dual monitor setup working but initially I would like to see if these ports work. I know I'm light on information here but would someone mind helping out to figure out why they aren't being recognised?

December 7th, 2017 05:00

Hi, thanks for the reply. Its the bigger one. I've had it since May 2013. I have never had a need to use the other ports so for all I know they may have never worked. The 2 monitors I have are Dell P1905T and Dell P1914SF.

Towards the top of the tower I have the VGA port then a HDMI port. Towards the bottom I have a card that contains HDMI, DVI and  DIsplay Port

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 7th, 2017 05:00

* How long have you had this 2012 computer?
* How long were the other ports working?
* What two specific monitor models?
* Which Vostro 270?

* Is there an added discrete video card installed?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 7th, 2017 06:00

I do not see a "P1905T" monitor in our database? What are the video in ports on it?

It has a DVI-D and a VGA port (and some USB ports)

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

You should only be using the video out ports on the bottom added video card.

Bottom video card DP (DisplayPort) out port --> P1914SF DP to DP cable --> P1914SF DP in port
Bottom video card DVI out port --> DVI to DVI cable --> P1905T DVI in port

December 13th, 2017 08:00

Hi thank you very much for that. I'm thinking that my DP to VGA adapter was faulty. Standard DVI to DVI cable worked fine and I also managed to get the HDMI socket to work (HDMI out of the PC then into the DVI on the monitor via an HDMI to DVI adapter). They both worked at the same time and my dual setup is complete! Thanks!

No Events found!