Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

November 13th, 2006 22:00

Wake-On-LAN Dimension 2400 - !!! IT WORKS !!!

I got WOL to work on a dell dimension 2400, the following is
the BIOS settings and NIC info:

BIOS Setup
----------
Power Management
Suspend Mode: S3
AC Power ...: Off
Low Power Mode: Off

System Security
PXE BIS ....: Accept

Auto Power On: Disabled

Remote Wake Up: On (Note: If you don't have this line
in your BIOS then it won't
work. )

NIC Hardware
------------
Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabyte
Note: DO NOT USE the motherboard integrated
NIC/controller!!!

5.8K Posts

November 13th, 2006 23:00

What do you do then to actually wake the machine? I have never tried it.

Peter

5.8K Posts

November 14th, 2006 02:00

Thanks, that was very helpful. I got my machines to wake up from standby/hibernation. No luck so far getting them to boot up from an off state (I do see the ethernet link is active when it is off, though).

Peter

November 14th, 2006 21:00

Peter345, the whole purpose of WOL is to remotely control a PC whether it's turn-on or off.

First, you need a separate program to turn on the pc from another computer. You can do a search on "wol programs" that will remotely turn on the pc (be sure to pick a free one, on my mac I use "wakeup"). Be sure to wait a couple of minutes to give the remote pc time to load its operating system.

Second, you need another program that actually opens up a connection to the remote pc. This program will open up a window on your screen that looks just like the remote pc's display screen; in this window your keyboard clicks and mouse movements are sent to the remote pc. All you have to then is just login and do whatever you want to do on the remote pc and when your finished just shut it down normally. Microsoft has a program called "remote desktop connection (RDC)", I use the mac version and its free.

I use wol to do large downloads off the internet from an old pc (which is in another room) that I still had after I changed to macs. From my desk I can turn on the pc do a download and then shut it down, all this happens while I continue with my other work on the mac.

Hope this help!

5.8K Posts

November 14th, 2006 22:00

Good info, thanks!

Peter

9 Posts

August 22nd, 2007 22:00

So is it impossible to utilize WoL on the Dimension 2400 with just the onboard NIC?

1 Message

October 27th, 2007 14:00

Hi there,

I've got this Dim 2400 at my desk, however as you tell the onboard nic is not able to do WOL at all... i tried both the stand-by (s3 or s1) and the s4... none of them worked.

Then i pulled out a wol pci nic, however this needs the WOL-cable attached, and there is (As far as i can see) no pins on the motherboard for this... i suppose i need to get one that does wol through the PCI brigde.

Any other got same situation and perhaps some hints?

/Party
No Events found!