Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2005 12:00

What is the electrical voltage needed to power up a computer??

I know this may seem like a silly question . . . but what is the electrical voltgage needed to power up a computer?  I recently purchased a home that has a 110 amp electrical system.  After having some problems getting my computer to come up, I finally took it to a friend's house and it started just fine.  My monitor etc. indicate that they are getting power, but apparently not enough to completely start it.  Does it required 220 amp?? 

Thanks for any help you can give me.

11.9K Posts

June 28th, 2005 12:00

@m1whitey wrote:
I know this may seem like a silly question . . . but what is the electrical voltgage needed to power up a computer?  I recently purchased a home that has a 110 amp electrical system.  After having some problems getting my computer to come up, I finally took it to a friend's house and it started just fine.  My monitor etc. indicate that they are getting power, but apparently not enough to completely start it.  Does it required 220 amp?? 

Thanks for any help you can give me.

All of your components should be plugged into a surge protector and it into the wall, so the power should be the same for all units.

Did you see if you had the CPU plugged into a dead outlet or an outlet controlled by a wall switch?

29 Posts

June 28th, 2005 13:00

Everything on the computer is plugged into a surge protector and then into the wall.  It doesn't seem to be a dead outlet.  I'm able to plug a fan, etc into it and it works just fine.  I tried using a different surge protector, a different outlet . . . no surge protector.  I'm at a bit of a loss on this.

Thanks for your help!

1.1K Posts

June 28th, 2005 13:00

You may have too heavy of a load on the circuit or the polarity could be reversed. You can get a circuit tester for about $5 that will check polarity and ground. If everything checks out you may need a voltmeter to check the actual voltage at the plug. Also, you need a grounded outlet for the computer

Message Edited by fredha on 06-28-2005 10:58 AM

29 Posts

June 28th, 2005 14:00

Thank you very much!  I assumed if my computer was trying to draw too much electricity it would throw a circuit or something.  But that didn't happen. 

I will check into the other stuff.

Thanks again!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 28th, 2005 15:00

Just to keep things straight, your computer needs 110 VOLTS or 220 VOLTS (depending on your location and how voltage selector on back of tower is set), not amps!

Sounds like your circuits may not be grounded properly (a ground fault).

Ron

11.9K Posts

June 28th, 2005 16:00

@m1whitey wrote:
How would I know how my computer is set up?  It's a Dimension Lxxxr 733Mhz if that helps.

Thanks again!

Unless you live outside the US it's 110.

29 Posts

June 28th, 2005 16:00

How would I know how my computer is set up?  It's a Dimension Lxxxr 733Mhz if that helps.

Thanks again!

29 Posts

June 28th, 2005 18:00

Thank you!!!

No Events found!