Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 2nd, 2012 23:00

What upgrades for the Dell Optiplex 755 Tower(mini tower)?

Hi. I've searched the other threads on here about the 755 but most talk about the sff, not the tower. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

First off, is this pc a good deal? About $208 shipped. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040ICGWI

Dell specs are here. http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/optiplex-755/pd

I'm mainly just trying to get a pc capable of playing games like Sims 3, Left 4 Dead, Borderlands, etc.

Onto the upgrades, I wanted to upgrade to the best video card the rig can handle. I've done some research and read that the 5670 is recommended, but also read that cards with PCI-Express 2.1 could cause problems and I should stick with PCI-Express 2.0 cards. Is this accurate information?

The card I had in mind was http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033WSDNI

Are there any other cards that any of you would recommend for the dell optiplex 755 mini tower?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advanced to all who help.

May 3rd, 2012 08:00

Hi Prophecy X,

Welcome to the Community.

The PC deal in the link- www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040ICGWI probably a good deal. However, you can also check in the Dell.com website for more information and specifications according to your requirement.

You can go to this link and check for availability for the cards  as well- http://dell.to/Jtvnag

Radeon HD 5670 PCI-Express Video Graphics Card is good choice but again remember,before choosing any card, make sure to measure the amount of space inside the system. Graphics cards can be rather large and sometimes don't fit in OEM systems or vice versa.

Check for the amount of power supply as well. Some graphic card need more power to work depending on the mother board and the video card  build.

If in terms of upgrading the PCI Express from 2.0-2.1, it may not work that well .Again need to check the compatibility .

So according to  the specs for Dell optiplex 755 mini tower, you can go for the video card.

I found a few articles as well in regards to a similar query ,you can go through this-  http://bit.ly/IugsSQ

Thank you,

Silangchi

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 3rd, 2012 12:00

Yes the machine is a good Deal IMHO.

Dell Optiplex 755 Tower Computer,  2.13GHz Core2 Duo Processor (1066MHz Front Side Bus), 3GB DDR2  250GB SATA Hard Drive, Crystal Clear , DVD/CDRW, Intregrated Lan/Audio, Onboard Video,  Windows XP Professional

Single Slot Versions of GDDR5 Radeon HD6670 1GIG cards are what I recommend for the 755 Tower with 305W power supply.

ASUS EAH6670/DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 6670 GDDR5 1 GB Video Card

2 Posts

May 4th, 2012 19:00

Thank you both for your replies. The links were very helpful and gave me some good information.

SpeedStep, that video card looks promising. I think I will go with that one instead for now. If I wanted to upgrade the ram to 6-8gb, which brand in particular would you recommend(that is available through Amazon)? Also, if I wanted to switch the manufacturer case out with a different case, would there be any issues? I have an Antec 300 that I previously used for my main desktop before I upgraded, I figured it would provide bigger space and more ventilation. Sorry for the extra questions. Thanks in advanced.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 16th, 2012 09:00

Antec 300 wont provide any more power or space.

Recommended Upgrade

part image

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found here.

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-8500, (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB
Slots: 4

11 Posts

November 19th, 2012 09:00

Yes the machine is a good Deal IMHO.

Dell Optiplex 755 Tower Computer,  2.13GHz Core2 Duo Processor (1066MHz Front Side Bus), 3GB DDR2  250GB SATA Hard Drive, Crystal Clear , DVD/CDRW, Intregrated Lan/Audio, Onboard Video,  Windows XP Professional

Single Slot Versions of GDDR5 Radeon HD6670 1GIG cards are what I recommend for the 755 Tower with 305W power supply.

ASUS EAH6670/DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 6670 GDDR5 1 GB Video Card

are you sure that this card will get in dell gx755 without hitting the fan cover.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 19th, 2012 10:00

If they haven't changed it yes.  Longer cards will have an issue.

1 Message

July 4th, 2013 03:00

Hi Guys

I have some technical questions :

- what about total power consumption ( TOWER PSU = 305W , CPU + GPU + HDDs  , have anybody experience with Quad Core CPU and powerful GPU ? )

- how did you solve the external power supply of GPU ( DELL 755 have only SATA connector ) oder did you use the adapter SATA 2 6 PIN connector

thanks in advance for your reply

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 4th, 2013 15:00

The Tower version of the 755 can use some quad core processors.  It may however require replacement of the heatsink from the aluminum version to the copper heatpipe version.

There is no point in putting a card that takes 2 slots because it will not fit into the case and therefore the power supply does not matter.  A radeon 7750 low profile single slot card will work and fit.

Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB  11202-10-20G

9 new

Update to A21.  Make sure you dont have any antivirus software running when you do that.

Description Importance Version Released Supported OS Download
DELL,DSK PROG,BIOS,OPTI-755,,A21
OptiPlex 755 System BIOS
Recommended A21 12/23/2011 BIOS
Dell OptiPlex 755 System BIOS, A19
OptiPlex 755 System BIOS
Recommended A19 6/30/2011 BIOS

I always recommend updating the BIOS with Antivirus software REMOVED Before updating CPU.

Compatible Processors

1 Message

November 27th, 2014 23:00

I am using a quad core (core duo quad) (Q9550 @2.83ghz. - it works fine!  I am also using a AMD Radeon HD5450 video card - works well.  I upgraded the PSU to (I think) 450 or 480 watts.  See ebay dealers on these,  as that is where I got mine.  Search DELL OptiPlex 755 Power Supply.  I am also running Windows 7 Ultimate X64 bit. Currently I have on 4gb ram - I wish to put in 8gb (Later).  I am currently running 2 1TB HDD's.  I believe that the OptiPlex 755 can handle 2 2TB HDD's.  As to the External Sata Connector; I have yet to figure out how that thing works!  How you get the power and data cable out of the unit - as there is no 3rd. HDD drive bay! You would need an external HDD case w/ power supply - still.. how you get the data cable out?  Anybody know?

42 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 22:00

"am using a quad core (core duo quad) (Q9550 @2.83ghz. - it works fine!  I am also using a AMD Radeon HD5450 video card - works well.  I upgraded the PSU to (I think) 450 or 480 watts."

The HD5450 is a good choice from a few years ago for the SFF version requiring a Low Profile video card.  On your machine it is an obvious upgrade ASAP situation.

I am guessing it was in the machine at purchase.   The retailer is supposed to sell an upgrade!
You need to buy more recent card, with latest GPU series and 1GB GDDR5 memory is a must.
DDR3 memory will not do.   1GB GDDR5 memory is a must.

You can buy a PCI-slot holder for an e-SATA port, that simply connects to the e-SATA port on the motherboard, so no cables winding out of the case.

No Events found!