Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 12th, 2017 13:00

Will install SSD in my XPS 8700 - should I choose mSata or Sata?

Hi

I have an XPS 8700 with 3 HD-slots and a mSata-connection. From the factory there is a 32 GB SSD in the mSata acting as a cache for my 2 TB HDD which is the system-disk. I also have 2 older HDD with data.

I want to install a new SSD-disk as boot disk - 500 GB. I am a bit confused about the use of the mSata-connection in my system, so I hope you can help me:

What is my best option:

- Buy a 500 GB mSata SSD disk and replace the 32 GB?

- Buy a 500 GB Sata SSD disk and use the standard Sata-connection? (I can easily upgrade my data HDD so I'll have enough roome for my data)

Also:

Are all the Sata-connections in my system the same speed?

Thank you for your help

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

June 12th, 2017 16:00

I would recommend using a standard SATA SSD, the reason for this is because the mSATA is the older version and not the one that is using NVMe (meaning there is no performance gain other than aesthetics). All SATA ports are SATA 3.  

Here are some older posts with similar questions/results:

Link

Link 2

Best regards,

Brad

1.2K Posts

June 12th, 2017 22:00

Goes without saying but I'll say it again anyway. BACKUP YOUR DATA first.

I would do is add a 500GB 2.5 inch SATA III SSD. I've been quite happy with the samsung evo 850.

If your system is generally running well and you don't want to re-install all the SW, I would use the  samsung cloning software and clone the boot drive to the SSD.

You'll have to get the data in use on the 2TB drive to be a bit less than 500GB, preferably no more than 400 GB.

Once cloned, I would remove both the 2TB and the 32GB drive and make sure the system boots. Then (assuming I was certain I had all data on the 2TB backed up ) I would reformat the 2TB HDD, and mount it as a data drive, and move photos and other larger files to the 2TB.

Finally, I'd reformat the 32GB and use it as a file system for the pagefile which will free up a bit on the SSD.

hope this makes sense. Adding the SSD will make the system much more responsive.

7 Posts

June 13th, 2017 04:00

Thank you very much for both answers - you have helped me a lot. I will go on with my upgrade now.

No Events found!