Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

June 4th, 2010 02:00

Windows 7 and older Dell Desktops: Are you satisfied ?

Dell didn't recommend that some of its older PCs be upgraded to Windows 7.   But many of you did.   Has it been worth the trouble of finding appropriate drivers and sometimes the expense of new video cards, etc?  I have a Dimension 3000 and I am going to have to pay about $60+ for a new PCI video card that has drivers for Windows 7 (Newegg was out of stock on the cheaper model).

Would you mind sharing how you solved the issues that came up.   I'm sure they would be instructive for us all.    Thanks

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 4th, 2010 19:00

I used a Sparkle 8400GS with my 2350. It is $45 postpaid from Newegg and comes HIGHLY recommended. In addition, I bumped up the RAM to 2gb, using GSKILL PC3200. 

I don't remember having trouble finding drivers, apart from the onboard video (which I disabled). I downloaded the Intel chipset installation utility and pretty much everything else installed off the DVD. If 7 has an Internet connection, it will automatically seek out and find drivers from Microsoft's online collection, something XP did not do.

I tried 7 with several older machines, including the 2350, an Athlon 2600+, and two P4 2.8's. All performed satisfactorily. One 2.8 is a workhorse and the other is an HTPC (with an HD tuner and Blu-ray drive).

No Events found!