Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2012 07:00

Windows 98SE on an Optiplex GX260

Its a pretty old school OS but I installed Windows 98 SE on an Optiplex GX260 for a colleague (they need to run some DOS based software). I had never installed this OS before. 

I got some conflicts with the Chipset and the Video and resolved this by downgrading the BIOS from A09 to A06 as mentioned in another post by SpeedStep here.

Now in the Device Manager I have an unknown "PCI Universal Serial Bus" device. Also some error for the Dell USB mouse of the type below. I seen mention of a Logitech driver and tried to install it but it just changed the name and still has an error message.

Anyone know where I can get the 2 drivers for these and what they are.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 18th, 2012 07:00

The USB issue Might be resolved by INTEL Chipset Driver 6.3.1007

INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel® 800 Series Chipsets

Did you just install the operating system? If you did not, then you do not need to install the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility.

OS: Windows Server 2003 *, Windows Server 2003 Stan....More Windows Server 2003 *, Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition*, Windows 2000 *, Windows 98 SE*, Windows Me*, Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Professional*>

4/28/2005

Previously released

Software Archives

The Mouseware 9.79 from Logitech works with WIN98SE

Logitech MouseWare - CNET Download.com

There is also a USB 2.0 PATCH for win98se.

All the ports are USB2.

USB2 is NOT however supported in WIN98/WIN2000/XP by default without drivers and or Service packs.

INFO: Availability of USB 2.0 Support in Windows - Microsoft Support

2 patches that I would consider critical on that score are the AUDIO QFE and the USB patch.

USB: USB 2.0 [USB2098ME.EXE]

High Speed USB (USB 2.0) driver to provide high speed USB functionality on Intel desktop boards.

4/3/2003

Latest

Drivers

Audio: QFE Update [269601USA8.EXE]

Audio QFE Update

9/23/2002

QFE#269601

Latest

Drivers

Then there are nice to have's like the Universal USB flash drive driver.

98 SE NUSB: Unofficial Windows 98 SE Native USB Drivers (NUSB) 3.3adds native USB + USB 2.0 support for most internal + external USB devices (free):

IE6 SP1

Download: Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB831167 ...

www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18786

And the WINDOZE ME Defrag

http://www.mdgx.com/

Unofficial 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME Updates, Patches + Hotfixes Listlb

LBA PATCH FOR 98SE

http://home.exetel.com.au/phelum/w98.htm

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 18th, 2012 12:00

Thanks thats great Windows 98SE seems to be in working order now. :)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 19th, 2012 08:00

The reason I consider the Audio QFE to be a critical patch is because without it there is a memory leak.

Question

When I play audio files on the WIN98 Machine they may be a little distorted but the system seems to slow down. What is the problem?

Answer

When using Windows98 a system with audio, a memory leak associated with repeated playing of wave audio files has been observed. System performance degrades because of the shrinking size of available RAM. If short wave files are repeatedly played the system can slow to a standstill.

ding ding ding ding!

Microsoft QFE (Quick Engineering Fix) 242927 has been verified as a fix for this problem. Customers using Windows98 on systems with audio installed are advised to install this QFE.

The QFE is current available to the customer only through an individual request to Microsoft Product Support Services.

The following Microsoft web site describes the fix and provides information on how a customer can request the QFE.

Since microsoft pulled this from their Site I used the INTEL Link instead.

One other file is the FDISK Patch.

Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than 64 GB

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263044

The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

Download 263044usa8.exe - English now

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 29th, 2013 05:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                                          

No Events found!