Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

October 14th, 2010 16:00

Wipe Disk & Re-install Windows

Just got my new XPS 8100 and there are no disks. I want to format the drive and install just what I want installed. Am I out of luck?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 14th, 2010 16:00

snerd

If you reside in the US and are the registered owner of the computer, a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, can be requested from HERE.

Note: Dell may charge for the disc.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 14th, 2010 18:00

I agree with Mary G.

And there's always the Dell De-crapifier to help you get rid of the junk...

Ron

3 Posts

Thanks, I requested the disks. It didn't ask for any payment, I'll cross my fingers.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

You should rethink your plan. Nowadays all that is required is to uninstall anything you don't want. The disk has been prepared using a disk image, not separate installations of Windows, programs and utilities as in the past. You will lose all factory installed tweaks that don't have disks. MS Office Starter for instance is Word and excel in limited editions that don't expire. For many home users, that is all you need to read and write Word files and simple excel files. Don't change anything until you use the computer and make sure all is working fine. Also check the formatting of the disk. Many new computers have small C partitions for the system files and an empty D partition for installing all your files, photos, videos and new programs.  Do some research before you do anything.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 14th, 2010 21:00

Thanks, I requested the disks. It didn't ask for any payment, I'll cross my fingers.

snerd

Good luck.  :emotion-21:

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 14th, 2010 21:00

snerd

Good luck.  :emotion-21:

Bev.

3 Posts

October 15th, 2010 10:00

Just talked with Shravan in Support and he's sending me the Windows 7 disk! Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 15th, 2010 10:00

snerd

You are welcome.

Bev.

No Events found!