Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2002 13:00

Wrong date causing problems

I have a Dimension 400 which has served well until just lately. First I was going to sites which required the browser to be able to accept cookies--which it wouldn't even though the settings were at medium and finally I set them on low. Then last night I went to the Trend Micro Housecalls Antivirus site to do the scan and a House Call prompt came up saying that it couldn't perform the scan because their certificate went only to 2010! Hovering over the time on my monitor--and then going to regional settings in My Computer--I found that the date was set at Nov. 11, 2027. I attempted to correct the date there, but the computer wouldn't accept the year 2002. Are the two problems related? I am only moderately savvy about these things, and I readily admit to being confused. Can someone help?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 22nd, 2002 14:00

You don't say what operating system you have, but try right clicking on the time in the lower right corner and choosing Adjust Date/time and see if you can change the year there.

11 Posts

November 22nd, 2002 15:00

Sorry! Windows 98. IE 6.  I'll try the right click when I get home. Should have thought of that.

And I'm still wondering if the wrong date might be the cause of cookie problems. You're wonderful to try to help.

Myra

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 22nd, 2002 15:00

52miles.

Which version of Windows are you using?

Bev.

31 Posts

November 22nd, 2002 16:00

Myra,

I just did a fresh W98se system install (after a HDD replacement) and when the time came to enter the date/time the year 2010 was defaulted. I didn't notice this untill well into the install. So I ended up starting over Partitioning/formating and at the prompt checked the time and date closely (it defaulted to 2010 again) and now I'm back up and running. (had lots of Delltalker help - thanks all)

Rich

11.9K Posts

November 22nd, 2002 16:00

If your system date is off as you said, it will cause lots of problems.  Cookies, software (i.e. NAV license for 12 months that expired 20 years ago), etc.  File creation hierarchy (you save a file today with a 2020 date), tomorrow is 2002 date.  Which is more current?

Hope if fixes easily.

11 Posts

November 22nd, 2002 20:00

Rick and others,

Collectively you all gave me enough information that I am now able to LOG IN to this site and others. The date was wrong in the BIOS, and until I searched through this forum I certainly did not know how to fix that! And this is the first time I've been able to do this from home. Thanks twenty tons!

No Events found!