Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2011 18:00

XPS 600 won't turn on

My trusty XPS 600 won't turn on - the power switch turns amber and then 15 seconds later or so, it shuts off.  If you press the button again, it comes on and goes off immediately until you unplug it and replug.  I unhooked all peripherals, cards and disks - so its just the motherboard - still the same behavior.  There is an LED on the motherboard that illuminates - so at least one of the supplies is getting to the motherboard.

I called Dell - and they said they don't support it anymore.  I could buy a replacement power supply and try it, but it may be the motherboard. 

Any ideas?  Has anyone seen this before?  It seems like it is somehow shutting itself off for some reason - a power fault, or a signal from the system to shut off. Could it be suspended?  Is there a way to force the thing to boot fresh - ie clear the NVRAM of the power on state?

Thanks in advance....

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

May 17th, 2011 07:00

yellowdog42,

Solid Amber = The power supply is functioning, but the system is not processing data. When that occurs, check the quad pack diagnostic LEDs. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

1 Message

August 28th, 2011 00:00

hi yellowdog42,

I have exactly the same trouble you describe it in your post how did you fix it?  there is only one LED Nr 4 lighted on is that the same for you?

August 28th, 2011 05:00

It turns out two of electrolytic caps on the motherboard were fried - there was evidence of brown fluid that had come out the top and burnt.  The caps were shorting the main 3.3v supply - I think, forcing the switching supply to not work at least on some of the outputs.  The bottom line is, the CPU was never trying to boot  or even come out of reset because the basic supply voltages to the board weren't there.  In the end, I just shelved the board and bought a new machine!  Sorry - I guess that isn't what you hoped to hear.

...yellowdog

No Events found!