Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2008 20:00

XPS 630 nv4_disp.dll error HELP!

Hey all,

I am continuously getting an error when I play games on my system. So far the same thing has happend with BioShock and Crysis. It basically locks up, the screen either freezes or gets a lot of dots on it and eventually the dreaded blue screen comes up saying nv4_disp.dll entered into an infinite loop or something.

Here are my specs:

-Core 2 Quad 6600

-4 gig PC2 6400 RAM

-Dual Nvidia 8800 GT in SLI config

-XP Professional 

Please help! I have updated to the latest drivers, directx, and everything I can think of to do (short of calling Dell). The Blue Screen said it could be a fault with the hardware. Tell me this isn't true! 

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

March 30th, 2008 23:00

could be a driver problem,,,un-install your drivers, and install new ones... or try a different verion.....hope this helps

99 Posts

March 31st, 2008 14:00

nv4_disp.dll is an infuriating error. It can indicate hardware failure, but since the error occurs only when you play games, drivers are most likely the culprit.

Most people have had success by doing the following:

1. Boot into safemode

2. Uninstall all nVidia display drivers

3. Run a program like Driver Cleaner Pro (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745) to remove any traces of old drivers.

4. Restart the machine and let XP load

5. Install the most current driver from nVidia.com (169.21). Since you have SLI, you have to install the drivers on both cards

6. Reboot after install

Hope this works. Good luck.

No Events found!