Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2013 18:00

XPS 8500 and Altec Lansing ACS340 speaker hookup

Just got the XPS8500. Had a Dell Dimension 5150 hooked up to some Altec Lancing speakers. These speakers have one output line from the subwoofer to computer input. Trouble is the 8500 has several inputs and none seem to work at getting the speakers working. I do have headphone sound, but still not speaker sound. Am I being forced into adding another sound card to get sound on this PC?

January 6th, 2013 10:00

Well, the speakers were not fried.

>>You will need to connect the Green color-coded wire that connects the "INPUT" on the subwoofer to the Green audio output port on your computer<<

This was correct, although there are 3 plug ins at that point on the subwoofer. I had not unplugged it there when installing new computer. Two of the plug ins are mini plugs, one is a RCA plug. THAT was the one I was using that ran to my sound card set up in the old Dell 5150. Once I found a mini plug to mini plug cord and used the green plug in, they came to life.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

January 4th, 2013 03:00

Hi Rockyhammock7,

You will need to connect the Green color-coded wire that connects the "INPUT" on the subwoofer to the Green audio output port on your computer as shown in the pictures provided below:

The onboard soundcard on the XPS 8500 is capable of driving a 7.1 channel speaker system and you do not have to add a second soundcard.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

January 4th, 2013 07:00

You would think?? But no. Now I assume the green is the bottom row, middle of group 9 ??

January 4th, 2013 09:00

Well pulled out an old set of stereo speakers from another computer. Hooked them up and they work. Not sure what happened to the others as all I did was unplug the line to old Dell 5150 that had fried 50 % of capacitors. Possible the speakers went also? Speakers still light up at subwoofer though.  ??

No Events found!