Highlighted
sean4020
Copper

XPS 8500 - upgrading ram?

Hello, I’ seriously thinking of buyin the XPS 8500 at $1199 Australian.  It has only 4gb of ram, can I upgrade the ram at a later date?

Cheers

John

0 Kudos
11 Replies

Re: XPS 8500 - upgrading ram?

XPS 8500 can support up to 32GB RAM, as what it states on its specifications. Though most released models can only hold up to 16GB.

Who wouldn't want a piece of something, eh? 

0 Kudos

Hi,

Welcome to the Community.

XPS 8500 Has four memory connectors &  Maximum memory this system can hold is 32GB .

Memory capacity is 4GB & 8GB . As you have the 4GB memory in the computer you will be upgrade later .

You can also check the specification of this model (XPS 5800) in the following link .

http://dell.to/LLiD1a 

Thanks,

Satnam

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

0 Kudos
gtfinchy
Copper

IS there a motherboard view somewhere that shows the RAM slots?? I am probably going to order RAM for mine that is coming in Friday & I'm wondering about the RAM modules that have integrated heat sinks (Corsair, etc.) I'd like to see what the inside of the box looks like, but haven't found a photo like that yet.

0 Kudos
RoHe
Diamond

IS there a motherboard view somewhere that shows the RAM slots?? I am probably going to order RAM for mine that is coming in Friday & I'm wondering about the RAM modules that have integrated heat sinks (Corsair, etc.) I'd like to see what the inside of the box looks like, but haven't found a photo like that yet.

There's a diagram of the motherboard on page 21, here.

Before you buy any RAM for the XPS 8500, I suggest you read this thread on the topic.  And be sure your system comes with -or you update to- the latest version of BIOS (A06)  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
gtfinchy
Copper

Thank you, I've seen that manual. but the graphic diagram just isn't the same as a photograph. I've researched the RAM from that thread you mention, but appreciate the link for the next person reading this.

0 Kudos
RoHe
Diamond

What you see is what you get.

Unless some user has posted a photo of the motherboard on these forums (which is possible), I don't think you'll find anything other than that one diagram.

Hope you enjoy the new system assuming you buy it down there in OZ!

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos

(CT2KIT102464BD160B)

2-8GB 1Gx64 DDR3 1600 UDIMM 240-PIN 1.35v Crucial.com CL=11

1.35 V is better than 1.5... get crucial/micron and save money.

Spent money on Cosair XMP 9-9-9-24 and it only ran at 1333mhz... Switched to Crucial

Do not buy Corsair! XMP is not possible so your ram will not work at 1600mhz! Stick to Crucial for $94 US for 16GB ... 1.35V

Dell XPS 8500 | Win 7 Enterprise 64 bit | Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3400mhz

32GB Crucial DDR3 1600mhz @ 1.35V | SAMSUNG 830 Series 128GB SATA III

Seagate 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 1GB GDDR5

0 Kudos
gtfinchy
Copper

I bought the Crucial RAM, but not at $94! It was $131 per 16GB set, so bought a full 32GB. Works fine now... I've made photos of the motherboard & will upload as soon as reasonable.

0 Kudos

Call the Crucial support desk...they will usually make a one time price refund for a price drop. I paid  $161 per 16GB..they gave me a refund at $131... They refused to give me a refund at $94.

0 Kudos