Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2015 19:00

XPS 8700, GTX Titan x, Black Screen on Boot have bios A10

I have been trying to get this to work for a few days now. I contacted Nvidia support and they said the problem could be that this pcie slot defaults to 8x speed even though this slot is clearly a 16x. 

I have looked in the bios where the person at Nvidia suggested I could change the bus speed. Here is what they said below. 

"I found the same link to check on your motherboard specs. But I couldn't find if the PCI-e 3.0 running at 8x speed or 16x speed.

If it is running at 8x speed then, the issue could be possibly due to motherboard compatibility. Most of these motherboards are defaulted to 8x speed, even though the video card is connected in a 16x slot, there are options to change the slot speed in the BIOS.

Regards
NVIDIA Customer Care"

I just got a brand new Coolermaster V750 for this gfx card so I am sure I am getting enough power, and I added new 16gb gskill ram to it. I have more than enough to get this stuff up and running. I have even seen this was a common problem with the older bios and the 9 series late last year when they launched and people put them on these xps systems. The bios supposedly fixed it for the other people having problems with this but it would not fix the problem for me. You can see the thread in the link below.

en.community.dell.com/.../19601491

1.2K Posts

April 1st, 2015 20:00

So in your humble opinion would you think that my Titan could be defective? 

I humbly do not know.  I've not heard anyone attempt a Titan in an XPS 8700.

You might ask for help on a hard-core forum like overclock.net

http://www.overclock.net/f/69/nvidia

good luck.

This thread lists what has been working...

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19611037

1.2K Posts

Above is a screen shot of my system with a GTX 760. I did nothing other than install it to set the PCIe speed so it simply defaulted to PCI-E 3.0 x16 as shown.

2 Posts

So in your humble opinion would you think that my Titan could be defective? 

87 Posts

July 6th, 2015 21:00

I have been trying to get this to work for a few days now. I contacted Nvidia support and they said the problem could be that this pcie slot defaults to 8x speed even though this slot is clearly a 16x. 

I have looked in the bios where the person at Nvidia suggested I could change the bus speed. Here is what they said below. 

"I found the same link to check on your motherboard specs. But I couldn't find if the PCI-e 3.0 running at 8x speed or 16x speed.

If it is running at 8x speed then, the issue could be possibly due to motherboard compatibility. Most of these motherboards are defaulted to 8x speed, even though the video card is connected in a 16x slot, there are options to change the slot speed in the BIOS.

Regards
NVIDIA Customer Care"

I just got a brand new Coolermaster V750 for this gfx card so I am sure I am getting enough power, and I added new 16gb gskill ram to it. I have more than enough to get this stuff up and running. I have even seen this was a common problem with the older bios and the 9 series late last year when they launched and people put them on these xps systems. The bios supposedly fixed it for the other people having problems with this but it would not fix the problem for me. You can see the thread in the link below.

en.community.dell.com/.../19601491

Anthony817, 

Did you ever figure this problem out? I'm thinking of purchasing a GTX 980 ti, I know that it's a lot like the Titan X and was wondering if you got this to work. I wouldn't like to buy a GTX 980 ti just to find out it doesn't work. 

No Events found!