Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 2nd, 2016 10:00

XPS 8900 Flashing Power Light

I bought my XPS8900 a couple weeks ago, and immediately upgraded the memory to 32GB.

Everything worked fine, but I then decided to upgrade the video card to an EVGA GeForce GTX970 SSC.

This card requires both a 6 and an 8 pin power connector which the stock Dell PSU doesn't provide. So rather than return the video card, I upgraded the PSU to a Corsair CX750M, which I've read other XPS8900 users have had success with in this machine.

As others have reported, this PSU is a tight fit, but I was able to get it installed. As soon as I powered it on, my problems began.

The case and CPU fans spin, I can hear the HDD spinning up, and I can open and close the dvd tray. So I know the PSU is at least providing some power. But I get no video, and the power indicator on the top of the case flashes an amber pattern.

I've tried reverting back to the stock dell PSU and video card, but still have the exact same issue. 

I've also tried unplugging the power cable and holding the power button for 30 sec. But still, the power light flashes the amber pattern.

I know there are no beep codes for the XPS 8900, and that the power light's amber flash pattern is used instead to diagnose the issue, but I haven't been able to locate any reference to what the patterns indicate.

The power indicator flashes a 2 - 7 pattern, and repeats.

Does anyone know what this means?

April 4th, 2016 13:00

Followup:

I had ripped everything out with no luck. Well, everything except the upgraded memory. It had been working, so I didn't think it would be necessary to remove it. But I was wrong.

I reverted back to the stock memory and the blinking amber light problem went away!

Then I re-installed the new memory, and it also worked!

So I guess it was just that the memory needed to be re-seated.

Not sure if the 2 - 7 pattern means "Memory issue", but that would be my guess.

Since the XPS 8900 doesn't support beep codes, I hope Dell will eventually publish what the flashing light patterns mean.

May 17th, 2016 09:00

hi jammendolia

I experienced the same problem, I tried to reboot my system but no luck, I unplug the power cable then plug it again and I turn on. but got the same result. Then I remove my 16G Kingston fury 2400Mhz, then I put the original memory 4G crucial then it boot up. I ran the dell diagnostic app but no issue found. then return the 16G memory.

I didn't notice the pattern by the way, all I know is the power button is blinking amber

No Events found!