Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2015 12:00

XPS 8900 M.2 Specs

While I'm waiting on my XPS 8900 to ship, I'd like to go ahead and order an SSD for it.

What is the length? From looking at the manual it looks like a 42MM, but I don't see that listed in the specs. Also, is it SATA or PCIe?

3 Posts

April 11th, 2016 12:00

Lycom DT-120, PCIe 3.0 x4 Host Adapter for  M.2 NGFF PCIe seems fine (not tested, i use Silverstone).

14 Posts

April 11th, 2016 13:00

i bought this just now, thank you.

1 Message

April 13th, 2016 20:00

Dear Ivan,

Can you describe the procedure of BIOS setting after 950 pro installation?

I come into problems when I want to boot from 950 pro. In the BIOS boot sequence option, I install the SSD at PCI3 slot, and use the Samsung Migration to clone the system. But I cannot boot from it. 

It does not appear at the Add Boot Options.

Thank you,

Woody

54 Posts

April 18th, 2016 09:00

I'm using UEFI boot mode with secure boot enabled.  Works fine for me.  Yeah you can't change between UEFI and legacy/BIOS boot mode without reinstalling Windows as far as I know.

14 Posts

I have a Dell XPS 8900 and i use legacy boot, but you'll need re-install your O.S.

Im using  ssd 950 pro with M.2 Lycom DT-120

14 Posts

Today I installed my Lycom DT-120 with my ssd 950 pro and it worked perfectly speeds.

Tks again!!!

1 Message

June 20th, 2016 16:00

I have the same question and also cannot get an answer.  I need to preserve my PCI slots and don't need the speeds they afford.  The speed of the SATA III will be fine.  I, too, want to know what are the specs for the m.2 slot so that I can buy the right m.2 SSD (SATA III) drive.    Why should there be this problem in getting a basic answer.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 21st, 2016 11:00

PCI-e  there are 2 slots 1 has wifi and one has storage.

1 x M.2 x4 Socket 3 with vertical M Key design, type 2242 storage devices support(Support PCIE SSD only) the 8900 also has daughter board that the M2 42mm sits in.

They both look like M key only.  The mounting on the daughterboard looks to be 42mm.  This is how a pci-e X4 card is setup below.

M2 slots are 42mm. And it appears that the other is as well but has a daughter board inside a daughter board.

Drives with a single notch have a single 'M' key and are PCIe based, currently either x2 or x4 PCIe (like the Samsung XP941). Drives with two notches have an 'M' key and a 'B' key and are SATA based (like the MyDigitalSSD SC2).

The other thing to be concerned about is the length of the drive, as not all are created equal. The MyDigitalSSD is a '2242' drive, so it's 22mm wide, and 42mm long. That's the maximum length that M.2 mobos like the ASUS maximum extreme can handle, and it fits a lot of laptops. Longer drives with a '2280' format are 80mm long and wont fit some boards with an M.2 slot and other notebooks with a short bay, so it's always worth checking the length of your existing drive, (and drive bay) before going for an upgrade!"

The Lycom adapter is PCI-E X4 to to NVME 80mm M2.

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8900-desktop_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/downloads/document/Samsung_SSD_950_PRO_Brochure.pdf

Samsung 950 M2

Model: MZ-VKV512
Model Code: V5P512B

PCIe 3.0 x4 (up to 32Gb/s) NVMe 1.1

80.15 x 22.15 x 2.38 mm

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 25th, 2016 17:00

It cannot be stressed enough that a B keyed MSATA drive WILL NOT WORK in this socket.

If you put an 80mm M2 SATA drive in the slot it will go in but then the bus is shorted out and the machine does not power on at all.

The scew to hold it in is M2 x 3.5

M2x3.5

The official Dell part is:

6JPHH1SCREW, M2X3.5, WIFI/SSD/DDPE, DF

(or just part number 6JPHH)

So Samsung 950 models should work.

MZ-VKV256 MZ-VKV512
Capacity 256 GB 512 GB
Dimensions (L x W x H) Max. 80.15 x 22.15 x 2.38 mm
Interface PCIe 3.0 x4 (up to 32 Gb/s) NVMe 1.1

2 Posts

July 4th, 2016 10:00

Thanks a lot. This document is what I need!

7 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 09:00

If you do not have a bigger SSD already the far simpler & easier method is to spend your money on a standard SATA SSD with cloning s/w & instal it in a spare slot in your XPS8900.  My system has a single 3.5" 2TB disc and the 2nd HDD slot is empty, the 8900 chassis also comes with the mechanical & electrics where traditionally a 3.5 floppy drive would go.  (So why is the Intel RAID system activated with only a single HDD installed Dell?)  Some people do seem to have 2 x 1TB HDDsin their system.

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 22:00

Be careful what you read here folks. The seemingly knowledgeable posts just above by "speedstep" are not only vague but inaccurate. I installed a Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB - M.2 SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-N5E500BW) in my XPS 8900 M.2 socket. It has the M and B slots that the mentioned poster said would not work.

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 22:00

In this context, RAID has a different meaning than what you are thinking.

7 Posts

August 12th, 2016 10:00

After several attempts I have just successfully installed a 480GB in my new XPS 8900, here's how:-

Initial system comprised a single 2TB HDD configured to run under Intel RAID & Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) with a 32GB M.2 SSD mounted on the Motherboard.

System is running Windows 10 & UEFI “BIOS”.

Objective is to add 480GB Kingston SSD to run as Boot Drive and hold the Operating System.

SSD was purchased from Amazon, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00W35L5YK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After several failed attempts and an E Mail to Kingston Tech Support the following method was successful.

1. First ensure that you have an up to date System Image & Windows Repair media (just in case!!)

2. Download, Install & complete registration of Acronis cloning s/w.

3. Disconnect from all networks.

4. Permanently disable all Firewall & Anti Virus programmes.

5. Ensure power settings will not shut PC down during the upgrade/cloning process.

6. For Windows 8 & upwards only - Power down & restart the system and enter the UEFI / BIOS by hitting F2 or F12, or otherwise depending on manufacturer’s instructions.  Find & disable the “Secure Boot” option.

7. Power down the system and remove cover & power cord.

8. Carefully observing Electrostatic Handling Precautions install the SSD as desired and connect to available power & SATA points.

9. Leaving the cover off for later access power up & sign into the system as usual.

10. Right click the Acronis icon & click “Run as Administrator”.

11. Select Automatic Mode.

12. Select Source Disc, Destination Disc & click next.

13. When cloning completes power down system & remove power cord.

14. Carefully remove power & / or SATA cables from original HDD.

15. Replace power cord & power up system which should now Boot as normal but from the SSD.

16. This Computer / My PC should show the SSD as OS (C) drive.

17. If the “My Documents” folder (or a shortcut) is on the desktop rename this as My SSD Documents.  Also open the documents folder & create a new empty folder called SSD.

18. Power down system & remove power cord.

19. Carefully replace power & / or SATA cables onto original HDD.

20. Replace power cord & power up system which should still Boot as normal from the SSD.

21. Check that the My Documents folder is still shown as My SSD Documents & that the new folder called SSD is still present.  If they are not then the system has booted from the HDD and the migration has failed! (Sorry!!)

22. Assuming that all is well, look in My PC & the SSD should be shown as OS (C) and the HDD as OS (D) (or similar).

23. Replace cover on PC.

24. Make a completely separate complete System Image !!

25. Right click on the HDD drive & in properties rename it as HDD.

26. Restart Firewall & Anti Virus programmes

27. Reset Power Options as desired.

28. Reconnect to Networks and carry on as normal on your much faster machine.

I would recommend waiting for a week or so before doing anything that would render the HDD unusable as a System Disc just in case of anything untoward.  If necessary you should be able to just disconnect the SSD & allow the HDD to Boot as normal.

Boot up time is not noticeably quicker bt normal operations are far faster.  I think the BIOS / UEFI is just slow in itself!!

Hope this helps somebody - good luck

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 12th, 2016 10:00

There may be 2 versions but I think what is really happening is that there is a daughter board.  

My 8900 did not come with an onboard SSD.   When plugging directly into the M2 slot the system DOES NOT POWER ON.   The 850 B keyed unit DOES NOT WORK.  The 950 Non B keyed unit works fine Directly in the slot not attached to a daughter board.  PCI-E M2 is not at all the same as  SATA M2. M.2 SATA or M.2 PCI-Express

There are boards with both kinds of sockets that get around this by having a SATA connection on the board to go to the SATA connection for a standard Drive on the motherboard.

There is also the matter of size

• 2242 (Most Common)
  • 2280  (Most Common)

Fortunately there is a card that shows this in living color.

The NVME goes to PCI-E whereas the B keyed unit goes directly to
 a SATA Connector.

No Events found!