Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 21st, 2017 08:00

XPS 8910 Install: UEFI embedded SLP key

I'm looking for advice installing Win10 Education on my new XPS 8910. My employer provides the OS via download. So, I'd have a volume license. I'd like to replace the Dell HDD (Win 10 Home) with a SSD. And then do a clean install of Education.

I'm wondering if the Win 10 Ed installer will detect the UEFI embedded OEM Home SLP key and prevent installation. If so, is there a workaround?

Note: The Anniversary Edition created two version of Win Education- Education Pro and Education. I have the latter. Despite the naming, Win Education is the fuller version. (It's akin to Win 10 Enterprise.) See technet.microsoft.com/.../windows-editions-for-education-customers

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 21st, 2017 09:00

Windows 10 Education won't use a UEFI-coded product key - it won't be a problem.  You'll need a license key or access to your site's KMS server to activate.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 21st, 2017 13:00

There are different downloads...

The Windows 10 14393 .iso from the Media Creation Tool contains Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Home Single Language and Windows 10 Education. If this .iso is used the UEFI BIOS SLP key is automatically input.

There is also another .iso which just has Windows 10 Education since it doesn't have the Windows 10 Home Edition the key won't automatically be input.

If you are sceptical you can always add an EI.cfg file to your Bootable USB to override the UEFI BIOS SLP key. I instruct in doing so here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/#Overriding 

5 Posts

February 22nd, 2017 16:00

@ein63: That's good news. I do get a license key.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.  

@natakuc4: Thanks for the info. And the EI.cfg tip. I'll check, but I believe the download from my employer is (just) Windows Education.

Just in case, mind pointing me towards the Windows 10 Ed .iso?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 23rd, 2017 11:00

Theres a link in my guide to the Media Creation Tool, Education is an Edition from the Windows 10 .iso. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 

Also this tool will generate the direct download links (these .isos have less Editions - the English checksums are listed in my guide):

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool 

5 Posts

February 27th, 2017 16:00

Thanks very much for your help. Mind a final question?

You mentioned that the .iso from the Media Creation Tool is multi-edition. But  under "More download options" on the MCT page it states to "Visit the Download Academic Products page for Education editions." There's this link to a MCT page for Academic Products...

www.microsoft.com/.../vlacademicwindows10

Would this Media Creation Tppl give me (just) WIn10 Education Pro and WIn10 Education editions?. (My product key is for the latter.)

Thanks again.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 28th, 2017 03:00

There is no such thing as Home version for Academic versions.  Aka Home windows cannot login to an EDU or Corporate Domain. Volume Licences do not apply to Home installations.

The actual Link depends on which country we are talking about.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/vlacademicwindows10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/vlacademicwindows10

5 Posts

February 28th, 2017 05:00

Thanks for the info, SpeedStep. I'm aware.

I was posing a specific question to natakuc4 on an issue he's been helping me with.

Thanks again, though.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 28th, 2017 05:00

"WIn10 Education Pro and WIn10 Education editions?"

There is no such thing as Education Pro this would imply a Home version.  Windows Media Player is no longer in windows it is now an APP.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/windows-dvd-player/9nblggh2j19w

The Media is the same for Home and Pro where windows determines which version from the key.  This is true even for Retail USB Flash Drives.   There is no more Media Center Edition and Windows Media player and features have been removed from windows 10.

The same is true for the OEM and Enterprise and EDU versions.

The EI.CFG file can be placed in the sources folder to override any SLP key.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824952.aspx

The EI.cfg file specifies the values for the edition ID, the channel, and the volume license.

The EI.cfg file has the following format:

[EditionID]
{Edition ID}
[Channel]
{Channel Type}
[VL]
{Volume License}

{Channel Type} must be either "OEM" or "Retail"

{Volume License} must be either 1, if this is a volume license, or 0, if this is not a volume license. For example:

[EditionID]
Enterprise
[Channel]
OEM
[VL]

Pro – Windows  is the operating system intended for small and medium-sized businesses. It provides abilities such as joining corporate domains, participating in Group Policy, allowing involvement in Work Place Join and Work Folders, encryption and more. You can find a good list of business features in the The IT Guide to Windows 8.1. Note that some of the new business features in Windows Pro require a server running Windows Server 2012 R2 somewhere in the organization.

Enterprise/EDU – Windows Enterprise is the version that brings business premium features to Windows. Available through Windows Software Assurance, WindowsEnterprise includes all of the same features of Windows Pro and then adds things like Windows To Go, DirectAccess, BranchCache, AppLocker, Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI), and Windows  app deployment.

5 Posts

February 28th, 2017 06:00

@SpeedStep: re your comment that "There is no such thing as Education Pro..." see technet.microsoft.com/.../windows-editions-for-education-customers

And, again, I know, I know, I know.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 28th, 2017 07:00

I hadn't used that tool I thought it got removed when the build 14393 .isos were released... I don't think I have keys from all the Editions to test with... but with a Windows 10 Education Key (English US) I got a mono-Edition Windows 10 Education English US 64 Bit .iso.

Note once you input the key in that tool you do not get options to select your Language or Edition or architecture.

Not sure about the "Windows 10 Education Pro" .iso. It was mentioned on that blog but never really showed up elsewhere as far as I can tell.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 28th, 2017 07:00

The pro in this context is marketing.  There is No reduced price HOME or Basic version.

Enterprise and Pro features aka Windows to Go, Joining Active directory domain, Encryption Etc.    You asked if you would get the PRO version.

The answer is that the MEDIA whether disk or flash drive is the same for ALL HOME AND PRO versions.  The KEY and the EI.CFG determine which one is installed or upgraded aka windows home to pro when changing the key.

No Events found!