Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2017 18:00

XPS 8910 case fan bracket

Can anyone point me to where to check if the case fan bracket is installed correctly in my new XPS 8910? When I try to swing out the power supply it keeps getting hung up on the rear tab of the bracket. I have to stick a thin skewer down there and jiggle everything around to get the power supply to release and swing out. I've attached some pics....I hope.

10 Posts

Pic 2

1 Attachment

10 Posts

Pic 1

1 Attachment

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 19th, 2017 04:00

No Idea what I am looking at.

http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/xps-8910-desktop_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

10 Posts

May 19th, 2017 05:00

Hmmm, I will take another picture when I get home. But the black metal piece that holds the case fan on my machine looks nothing like that picture. Mine has one large tab that extends out to the front of the case and almost touches the red SATA cable going to the cd drive. And on the other side pointing to the rear of the case are two smaller tabs that interfere with the PSU locking mechanism.

10 Posts

May 19th, 2017 14:00

This is what my fan bracket looks like...

1 Attachment

9.4K Posts

May 22nd, 2017 06:00

Hi sefirohte,

Thanks for posting.

Here is a link to the manual that shows the proper procedure.  Check pages 50-52.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 22nd, 2017 11:00

The Bracket is mis mounted should be BEHIND not in front.

10 Posts

May 28th, 2017 12:00

The computer came with the tabs installed behind the silver part of the actual chassis. But the tabs still interfere with locking the swing out PSU in place even with the bracket tabs behind. I moved them in front to make it easier to picture. And to see if they wouldn't get in the way in that position, but they still do.

If you look closely at the second picture you posted, the black bracket is actually not supposed to even be there.

Looks like I got an unnecessary bit of metal that's just getting in the way. With out the fan in, the PSU locks into place with no issue.

I've been in contact with Dell and they are sending a tech out with a new fan. Not that I couldn't have just replaced the fan myself if they would just ship it to me, but they want to see what's going on with it themselves I suppose.

The fan unplugged from the mobo and removed from the chassis. You'll notice the black tab on the right, mostly blocks the screw hole in the silver bracket that actually mounts the fan to the chassis. You can access it thru the square hole, but at an angle. Which still makes it awkward to get to. I must have dropped the *** screw a million times while trying to figure this all out.

The fan split into its component parts. The black part appears to be completely unnecessary for this model chassis.

No Events found!