Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2017 20:00

XPS 8920 M2 SSD - Unable to boot from disk

Hi,

I recently purchased a XPS 8920 with a 1TB hard drive.  I also have a Samsung Evo 960 M2 NVMe SSD drive that I want to install as the Windows 10 boot disk, but it refuses to boot.

Looking at the other posts around here I have set the following:

XPS 8900, BIOS v1.0.4, ePSA: Build 4304.18 

SATA: ACHI Mode
Boot List Option: UEFI
Secure Boot: Disabled
Load Legacy Option ROM: Disabled
Attempt Legacy Boot: Disabled

I first installed the M2 Drive and it was recognized by the BIOS. Booted into the HD that came with the Desktop and ran the MS partition tool, it detected the drive (I didn't format or partition it).

I created a USB UEFI bootable image of stock Windows 10.

Unplugged the HD that came with the machine.

Booted up and Pressed F12 to boot from the USB.  Windows detected the SSD and was able to partition and install to it.

Machine restarted. Press F12 to check its booting form SSD, and ... BIOS reports 'Boot failure on device'.

So I plugged in the HD again, restarted and it can see the SSD and I confirmed Windows is installed on it.

Tried a similar process using the Samsung drive clone tool, and the Dell OS Recovery Tool.  Always the same result, I can detect and install windows, but the PC refuses to boot from it.

Any ideas?

5 Posts

August 20th, 2017 19:00

New BIOS (1.0.8), still "boot device failed" error with M2 Samsung evo SSD in AHCI mode.

Does anyone succeeded or tried to update the SSD firmware?

September 8th, 2017 19:00

I followed your instruction, but the system (very similar to yours, with XPS 8920 and SSD PRO 960, but with 1.0.8 BIOS) still refuses to boot (in SATA-RAID). The difference is that I can see the drive without loading that Intel RST driver (I also tried to load this driver, and then installed Windows. But it did not work either). I was wondering if you have the following set in BIOS:

Secure Boot: Disabled

Load Legacy Option ROM: Disabled (I already tried it with "Enabled", but still could not boot).

Attempt Legacy Boot: Disabled

Thank you!

p/s: For all options that I tried, the SSD Pro never shows up on UEFI Options for Booting; it only appears in Legacy Options.

5 Posts

September 11th, 2017 19:00

Hi LittleBear84,

I have secure boot enabled and legacy disabled. I didn't need the intel rst driver too.

I didnt try a fresh install of windows with the 1.8.0 bios version. I have upgraded the bios with my old install of windows.

It sounds more that windows was not installed correctly as the UEFI entry is not here. You could try to re-install windows setting the BIOS with secure enabled and legacy disabled. But I am not an expert with windows, I have not use it for 10years until this computer which is not booting in AHCI mode with the SSD and so I cannot install GNU/linux...

September 11th, 2017 19:00

Thank you seal20.

Now I can boot using RAID, with the SSD Pro 960 being installed directly to the M2 NVME slot on the motherboard.

Before, I used a PCIE adapter with the SSD (plugged in a PCIE x4 or x16 lane), and boot failure happened, even in RAID mode. For a unknown reason, the SSD is still detected in BIOS, but with the weird size 185275945GB, instead of 1024GB. Note that if I install the SSD to the M2 slot and use AHCI mode, the same problem happens.

I am OK with RAID, but I really want to use the PCIE adapter for my Samsung SSD Pro 960 rather than the M2 slot. Perhaps I need to wait for another BIOS update from Dell...

Thank you again.

2 Posts

September 18th, 2017 02:00

Quite Frustrating.

I am struggling for a week to install the windows in Samsung M2 PCIE SSD, samsung 960 pro 512GB.

Any solution  ?

2 Posts

September 18th, 2017 02:00

I'm facing same problem. If I disconnect the SATA HDD, then cant install in the SSD.

If I connect both (SSD+HDD), that time it allows me to install but at the end it doesnt boot up.

I tried linux / UBUNTU as well and it didnt work either.

2 Posts

September 28th, 2017 16:00

I used the Dell OS recovery tool.  I kept all the BIOS settings default (SATA-RAID) and unplugged the current OS disk.  I put the samsung 960 SSD in the m.2 slot and booted to the USB created with the recovery tool.  I was able to install windows on the SSD with this method and did not have to load any drivers.  I booted fine.

307 Posts

September 29th, 2017 05:00

bigcarr, you missed the major issue in this thread and that is getting the Samsung 960 M.2 SSD to work in SATA-AHCI mode.

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2017 09:00

I didn't miss the major issue.  I too tried many different ways to get the Samsung 960 m.2 SSD to work in AHCI mode.  Unless Dell fixes the BIOS, it will not work.  If you want to use the Samsung SSD in a 8920 Dell system, SATA has to be in RAID mode.  I bench-marked the SSD after I got the system running on windows 10 and it meets all the advertised speed.    I also googled SSD performance in RAID vs AHCI and thee is no difference.  The only issue running in RAID is that the Samsung software will not detect the drive, so you cannot run the Samsung drivers as they are for AHCI only.

307 Posts

October 3rd, 2017 14:00

The reason I  thought you miss the major issue with the Samsung 960 M.2 SSD is because in your first post you failed to  mention the AHCI issue with the XPS 8920 or the issue with Samsung drivers in RAID mode you mentioned in your second post. Most here have gotten the SSD to work by doing what you stated in your first post but without stating what you said in your second post makes it appear that there are no issues.

October 22nd, 2017 17:00

Good news: with newly updated BIOS v1.10, I am now able to boot from Samsung SSD 960 in AHCI mode!

No Events found!