Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2017 16:00

XPS 8920 Power Supply Fan Not Spinning

The power supply fan in my new XPS 8920 is not spinning up. The PC seems to be running cool and doesn't exhibit any problems. Is this normal behavior, or is it a defect?

June 30th, 2017 16:00

Hi WayneAF,

Please try running diagnostic from F12 menu and let us know if u get any error and update the system BIOS from support.dell.com. We will replace the parts if it has failed.

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

307 Posts

June 30th, 2017 18:00

Take a look at this thread for the XPS 8910: en.community.dell.com/.../20960411. Basically I believe the conclusion is that the fan only needs to run when it has to, not sure at what point that is or how to make sure it will run when it has to. Someone said the fan should run if there is a 20% load, but given that it is a 460 watt power supply you would think that even under normal conditions you would exceed that. I guess you can stress test you system to see if the fan comes on.

2 Posts

June 30th, 2017 18:00

Thank you! Reading this thread leads me to believe that this is designed behavior. I do a lot of coding that doesn't put much of a load on the computer. The power supply feels cool to the touch and the system seems to run fine. I will keep an eye on this and will follow up if I have problems when I run some of my demanding virtual machines. Running those should stress the system more.

September 17th, 2017 15:00

The PSU fan never spins in my XPS 8920, even when testing with the power test button or stressing the CPU to 100%. It has the part number GJXN1 460w Delta, which is considered to be defective in many XPS 8910 systems (please see en.community.dell.com/.../19994061. But I do not have any noise issue like them.

Any idea?

Thanks,

LittleBear84

307 Posts

September 17th, 2017 17:00

I am concerned whether stressing just your CPU (assuming i7-7700) to 100% is sufficient. The TDP of the i7-7700 is 65 Watts and assuming peak power of the CPU 1.5 times the TDP, I don't know if that is enough. If stressing the CPU also means that you are also stressing the GPU then that's different.   I saw someone on this Forum say that the fan should run at 20% of rated load, but if that is the case I would think it would run most of the time. I would contact Dell and explain the problem. I am not aware of any other way to make the PSU fan spin except to put the PSU under a  load sufficient for the PSU fan to turn-on on its own.

October 4th, 2017 19:00

It indeed spins after I stress the CPU long enough:). I also checked with Dell, and they offer a new PSU. But perhaps I will keep the current one (GJXN1), since I dont have the noise issue as described in one of the posts earlier for 8910 systems.

1 Rookie

• 

36 Posts

October 4th, 2017 21:00

On Mine its the same It will spin with it gets warm then stop. I suppose because its on top of the CPU fan its designed that way.

No Events found!