Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2013 18:00

XPS8300 (part "multimedia TV TUNER, TVTY9 + Basic Remote)

I got this XPS 8300 computer last April (2012).  One of the things I got with the computer is a remote and a round cylinder shaped thing with IR1 and IR2 on it.  The list of parts on my invoice says, "multimedia TV tuner, TVT9+Basic Remote".   I didn't receive a manual for it and I'm not sure what I can do with it - what it's for, blah, blah, blah.  Can anyone help me?  

Also, I have an HDMI connection on the back of the computer and I ran an HDMI cable from the computer to the tv so that my son could play his flight simulator on the tv screen instead of the monitor.  Apparently, there's more to it than that and I have got a clue.  Can anyone help me on this issue as well?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 19th, 2013 12:00

Hi Sputterbug10,

That is the IR receiver for the TV tuner card. In order to use the TV tuner, the receiver has to be plugged into a USB port and the long wire with the little light at the end has to be plugged into either of those IR ports. I personally find it a hassle to use this setup with the Dell remote, but it still must be plugged into a USB port. Mine is sitting on the shelf under the computer and I just use my STB remote.

For the HDMI port, you probably need to enable it in graphics properties.

No Events found!