Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2010 19:00

ati 3450 sound - only rear channel output is working (XP)

I have a desktop with a half height ati 3450 that is only sending the rear channel data to my tv from the HDMI output on the video card.  It had been working correctly, but a windows update/driver update seems to have messed things up.  Currently when I go to Sounds and Devices on the control panel and choose my default device on the Audio tab my only options are 'Realtet HD Audio output' and 'ATI HD Audio rear output'. 

I've installed Catalyst 2010.0202.2335.42270 and ATI driver version 5.0.50000.8 and all windows updates. 

Realtek HD Audio output works correctly.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 16th, 2010 04:00

It would appear to be an ATI driver issue.  One thing to try, uninstall the ATI audio in the Device Manager (DO NOT uninstall the driver) and then restart the PC and the audio will be detected and reinstall when Windows restarts.  This MAY take care of the problem. 

To access the Device Manager, hold the Windows Key down and Press The Pause/Break Key.  The Device Manage can be accessed from the panel that comes up.  In the device manager. click on the ATI HDMI Audio to highlight it and then LEFT click on "uninstall".  Restart the PC.

3 Posts

March 16th, 2010 17:00

I've tried that with a restart and a cold boot, and with the tv on and the tv off, but it still insists it's 'ATI HD Audio rear output'.  I'd like to think there would be a way to override what it thinks sees, but it seems to think it knows best.  What kills me is this was working correctly until recently.

Should I keep trying to remove the device in hopes it will come out right eventually?  Any other things to try?

Thanks for your help,

ThomasXT

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 17th, 2010 04:00

Have you tried reseating the card?  If not, give that a try.  Reseat - with the PC powered off, remove the video card then reinstall making sure it's fully and correctly seated in the connector.

If it was working OK until "recently" maybe the System Restore will fix it.  If it hasn't been too long ago you may have a System Restore point that is BEFORE the problem and restoring to that point MAY fix it.  System Restore will not delete any user data or e-mails, however if there were any programs installed (or uninstalled) they will have to be redone after the System Restore.  System Restore can be accessed from Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools.

3 Posts

March 17th, 2010 17:00

No luck so far.  I reseated the card and used system restore points back to 1/1/2010.  ATI sound was working and showing correctly as recently as 3/1/2010 or so, but no matter what restore point I chose the ATI output always showed up as 'rear output'.  It also only sent the two rear channels.

If I hadn't seen it working with my own eyes at this point I would give up, but I know that it's possible.  I'm just not sure what to do next.

Thanks again,

ThomasXT

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 19th, 2010 06:00

There isn't much in the way of updates for XP anymore except security items so I wouldn't suspect an XP Operating System update.  I would still suspect the ATI card and/or the ATI audio driver.  If a wrong OS version was inadvertantly installed (or inadvertantly provided by ATI) that is one possibility, XP handles the audio functions differently than Vista or Windows 7 and most everything this is being designed around Vista and Windows 7.

Can you find an older ATI driver? and install that.  If you can find an older ATI driver (or if you still have the older ATI driver on the hard drive), uninstall the current drivers, restart the PC and then install the old driver (if you do this, when Windows starts it will want to install the driver, do not let it do this, cancel the function and then install it yourself).

No Events found!