Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

September 28th, 2006 00:00

bios update for dimension 4600

hey,

i have a dell dimension 4600 P4 2.4Ghz, Intel 856PE Chipset, Antec 450W PSU, 1.25GB RAM, XFX 6600GT, WinXP Pro installed. for some problems with my graphics card, xfx suggested that i should update my bios. i have no idea how to do that, or if its safe. please help.

Thanks!

Message Edited by blue_ridge07 on 09-27-2006 08:53 PM

9.4K Posts

September 28th, 2006 12:00

The latest and last BIOS update that Dell has issued for your model is version A12.  That version can be downloaded by clicking here.  

To use that file is easy.  First, download the file to a folder on your hard drive.  Do not save it to the desktop as Windows XP has a quirk which can later make deleting the file troublesome.  Secondly, close out all unneeded Windows applications running in the background and disconnect all unneeded USB devices except for the keyboard and mouse.  This will lessen the chance of the system hanging during the reboot phase of the update. Thirdly, go to the folder where you saved the BIOS download and just run the file.  The program will then update your BIOS to the latest version.  Do not interrupt the BIOS update while it is in progress or do the BIOS update when there is the possibility of a power interruption such as during a thunderstorm.  An interrupted BIOS update can corrupt your currently installed BIOS and make the machine unusable.  Fortunately it takes less than 30 seconds for the new BIOS code to be written so your exposure to potential problems is very limited.
No Events found!