Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2012 15:00

checkpoint (HDsk) Alert! What does this mean?

I just got back from a vacation and after I used my Dell Dimension 4600i Series (BIOS version A09) for a few minutes the screen went blak with a message stating SATA PRIMARY DRIVE 0 NOT FOUND STRIKE F1 KEY TO CONTINUE, F2 TO RUN SETUP UTILITY. 

When I try F1 it states NTLDR IS MISSING. PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART. When I do that it goes back to the same original message.

When I do the F2 it lists the time and date and lists

DRIVE CONFORMATION----------ENTER

DRIVE A.............................3.5 INCH, 1.44 MB

SATA PRIMARY DRIVE....UNKNOWN DEVICE

SATA SECONDARY DRIVE ....OFF

etc

after doing the ctrl+alt+del several times I got a message stating ALERT! PREVIOUS ATTEMPTS AT BOOTING THIS SYSTEM HAVE FAILED AT CHECKPOINT (HDsk). FOR HELP RESOLVING THIS PROBLEM, PLEASE NOT THIS CHECKPOINT AND CONTACT DELL TECHNICAL SUPPORT.Can anyone help me with this? I do not want to spend alot of $ on this but yet I have a lot of info on this computer that I cannot lose. Also, I am not a computer person so any help will be greatly appreciated.

10 Posts

April 23rd, 2012 15:00

NTDLR Is missing =  You can't boot into windows. What OS Was it, do you have an install cd? As you can Re-copy that file via Recovery, SATA Drive Blah means something such as the HD (Hard drive/Hard Disk)  Cable got knocked/Bumped around or is loose. THAT, or your CMOS Battery is dyeing. You should replace those every 5  years or so. And F2  Goes to The BIOS To re setup, The dell Message means it's checkpoint (7Restarts i think)  in a short time means it detects that rebooting and senses the problem.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 23rd, 2012 21:00

Is this fixed now?

1 Message

June 6th, 2012 07:00

I'm having the same problem right now...  do you have a suggestion?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 6th, 2012 13:00

@eriox

What system? Did you try replacing the motherboard battery?

1 Message

September 21st, 2012 06:00

The error message  checkpoint (HDsk) .........

I got the same problem but I solve it..

Solution

Please check the processor and apply thermal paste...

No Events found!