Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2004 14:00

gx260 Boot problem?

When i boot up every morning the machine would just start beeping. I would have to cold reboot numerous times before it would finally boot. I had this problem on other machines before and reseated the memory and it would work fine. I tried this on the machine and still doesn't work. I narrow it down to either the memory, mobo, or the PS. Anyone have experiences with this and how what might be the cause before i order anything.

Hi, I believe it was 3 or 4 does that sound right. As I said this only happens when i leave it off overnight. Any help would be nice thanks.

• 

17K Posts

jimmydean187,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Count the beep sequence and post it in the forum so that I can view it to determine what is wrong.

• 

17K Posts

January 23rd, 2004 15:00

jimmydean187,

Here is a list of the beep sequence and the led lights on the back of the cpu.  Maybe get an idea of what I am talking about.

Beep Codes

Your computer might emit a series of beeps that identify a problem: for example, one beep, followed by a a burst of three beeps, and then one beep (code 1-3-1) means that the computer encountered a memory problem.

Try to resolve the problem— Write the beep code down on the Diagnostics Checklist, and perform the action recommended in the following table.
Run the Dell Diagnostics <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> to identify a more serious cause.
Contact Dell for technical assistance

Code

Cause

Action

1-1-2

Microprocessor register failure

Contact Dell for technical assistance.

1-1-3

NVRAM

Run the Dell Diagnostics<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>.

1-1-4

ROM BIOS checksum failure

Run the Dell Diagnostics <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>.

1-2-1

Programmable interval timer

Run the Dell Diagnostics <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>.

1-2-2

DMA initialization failure

1-2-3

DMA page register read/write failure

1-3-1 through 2-4-4

DIMMs not being properly identified or used

See "Memory Problems."

3-1-1

Slave DMA register failure

3-1-2

Master DMA register failure

3-1-3

Master interrupt mask register failure

3-1-4

Slave interrupt mask register failure

3-2-2

Interrupt vector loading failure

3-2-4

Keyboard Controller Test failure

3-3-1

NVRAM power loss

3-3-2

NVRAM configuration

3-3-4

Video Memory Test failure

3-4-1

Screen initialization failure

3-4-2

Screen retrace failure

3-4-3

Search for video ROM failure

4-2-1

No time tick

4-2-2

Shutdown failure

4-2-3

Gate A20 failure

4-2-4

Unexpected interrupt in protected mode

4-3-1

Memory failure above address 0FFFFh

4-3-3

Timer-chip counter 2 failure

4-3-4

Time-of-day clock stopped

4-4-1

Serial or parallel port test failure

4-4-4

Cache test failure

Run the Dell Diagnostics <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Diagnostic Lights

To help you troubleshoot a problem, your computer is equipped with four lights on the back panel labeled "A," "B," "C," and "D". These lights can be yellow or green. When the computer starts up normally, the lights flash. After the computer starts, the lights remain green. If the computer malfunctions, the color and sequence of the lights identify the problem.

CAUTION: Before you begin any of the procedures in this section, follow the "CAUTION: Safety Instructions."

Back Panel Diagnostic Light Codes

Light pattern

Problem Description

Suggested Resolution

off
off
off
off

Normal off condition or possible pre-BIOS failure

Verify that the computer is plugged into a working outlet and that you have pressed the power button.

green
yellow
yellow
yellow

Possible BIOS failure; the computer is in the recovery mode

Run the BIOS Recovery Utility, wait for recovery completion, and restart the computer to retest.

yellow
green
yellow
yellow

Possible processor failure

Reseat the processor, and restart the computer to retest.

green
green
yellow
yellow

Possible memory failure

Reseat all memory modules and restart the computer to retest.

yellow
yellow
green
yellow

Possible expansion card failure

Remove each expansion card individually, and restart the computer to retest.

Reinstall the expansion card(s) one at a time, and restart the computer to retest.

Move each expansion card one at a time to another PCI slot, and restart the computer to retest.

green
yellow
green
yellow

Possible video card failure or bad on-board video

If you have a video card, reseat it and restart the computer to retest. If you have video integrated, you must replace the system board.

yellow
green
green
yellow

Possible floppy or hard drive failure

Reseat all power and data cables, and restart the computer to retest.

green
green
green
yellow

Possible USB failure

Reseat all USB devices and cables, and restart the computer to retest.

yellow
yellow
yellow
green

No memory detected

Reseat all memory modules and restart the computer.

If the problem still exists, to eliminate the possibility of a faulty memory connector, install one memory module (if the computer supports a single module), and restart the computer. Then move the module to another connector and restart the computer.

yellow
green
yellow
green

Memory is detected, but a memory configuration or compatibility error exists

Be sure that the memory modules are compatible with your computer. If necessary, replace the memory modules.

yellow
green
green
green

Other failure

Check the computer message that appears on your monitor screen.

green
green
green
green

Normal operating condition after POST

None.

February 8th, 2004 07:00

I have an Optiplex sx270 and I encountered a similar problem; I bought it in November and one day around end december i tried booting and my LCD screen showed grey static or wouldn't get the green light on. I switched monitors with my old PII and it worked fine (both ways). Then I put them back as they were.

I sort of forgot it ever happened and all has been normal until few days ago when the same thing happened. Only now, when i un-replugged the monitor (while power off)and tried to reboot the desktop began to beep like 1-3-2. I checked the monitor again with my other unit and it worked fine. The ABCD leds were all yellow except A. The diagnostics (dell forum) say poss memory fault and to reseat modules. I did nothing, except that night I unplugged the desktop's A/C cable from the outlet and put it back on. The PC booted normally (with only one beep) and all leds turned green. It, again booted normally this morning and I'm just at a loss as to what maybe causing it.. Any thoughts ??

By the way I refrained from opening the chassis as fear this will prejudice my warranty (?)

Thnx +

February 8th, 2004 08:00

By the way, I ran a dell diagnostics and it returned error code 0f00 : 133d ide device failed. Incompatible CD for testing. This turned up in the Express Test. Is there anything I can do to correct this ? What does it mean ?

P.S - All other tests were successful +
No Events found!