Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 5th, 2007 18:00

memory dump on my xps 720

Hi all, recently since I have installed my new motherboard I have been getting a memory dump. and reboot. usually when I play intense games, and just recently surfing the net. I just did a fresh install of vista 32 bit as well. I have ran mem test with no errors I do not overclock any components at all. it happens maybe once every 4-5 days but none the less it happens. any suggestions. Thanks madbirmy

xps 720,q6600,8800gtx,4 gig pc2 8500

40 Posts

November 5th, 2007 19:00

Whoops, forgot to say that you have to go to the Reliability tab inside the P&R Monitor. it'll have date-stamped error codes for every error you've ever gotten since you first turned the system on, so copy/paste the codes from the last couple days in here.

40 Posts

November 5th, 2007 19:00

Memory dump means you're probably getting a blue screen. If you click on start and type in "reliability" you should be able to pull up the performance and reliability monitor - if you could post the errors you've been getting on here, we should be able to give you more precise help.

303 Posts

November 5th, 2007 21:00

I cannot find any codes and I could only find where it said improper shutdown. am I doing it wrong any suggestions.   Thanks

40 Posts

November 5th, 2007 22:00

Unexpected shutdowns are usually listed underneath 'miscellaneous failures' - what I'd be looking for is anything under 'hardware failures' or 'windows failures' on the same day.

If you don't have anything listed there, you could always right click on My Computer, go to Properties, Advanced, and click Settings under the Startup and Recovery section, then make sure that "Write an event to the system log" is checked while "Automatically restart" is unchecked. Then go into your game, make it crash again, write down the blue screen it gives you and post that on here.

40 Posts

November 6th, 2007 03:00

Okay, if you get a blue screen again the most important parts to write down and post are the STOP code (it will probably look something like 0x0000007E) and the file it references (which will be something like ntldr.dll)

If you can tell me either (preferably both) of those I can give you a decent idea of what's going on in there.

Message Edited by toadvine on 11-06-2007 12:59 AM

303 Posts

November 6th, 2007 03:00

Nothing like that has come up on my search. I just had my system crash to a blue screen and at the bottom it said something like memory dump or memory dump file then it rebooted.??????

Thanks   madbirmy

303 Posts

November 6th, 2007 11:00

Great, I will make sure I write down the info when it happens again. or if it happens again. it could be a few days so check this post in a week or two and see if it happens.  Thanks again for all your help.   madbirmy
No Events found!