Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 28th, 2007 18:00

"Alert! Previous Fan Failure" after replacing a Dell fan.

I just replaced a fan (6985R) on a Dell 4550 desktop PC. Now whenever I boot up, once it gets past the Dell logo loading screen it displays this message briefly w/ the option to press F1 to continue or F2 to go to setup. Disabling keyboard error reporting eliminated the F1/F2 message... however the fan failure message still displays each time. After the fan failure message appears it asks which version of windows to boot into (Safe mode, Safe mode w/ networking, etc) then after I choose, it hangs w/ a black screen for 3-5 seconds then it simply reboots. In the event log it reads "Out of Range" next to the fan failures it's showing as well. I've checked the error logs and cleared them. I've made sure the fan is actually running, and I'm not sure where to go next. Clearing CMOS? I'm hoping I don't need to do anything drastic like that. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 28th, 2007 22:00

CaptainInternet

Did you install a Dell OEM fan, or an aftermarket unit?

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

1 Message

August 16th, 2008 00:00

I am not the OP, but I have the same problem.  I did not install an oem fan.  It is also not plugged in where it originally was nor does it have a plug that will fit the original plug.  Is there any way around buying an OEM?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 16th, 2008 01:00

dougtaylor1

None that I know of, except buying the correct Dell OEM fan and connecting it to the motherboard.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.
No Events found!