Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2008 02:00

"This device can perform faster" on XPS 420 with XP Pro

I currently have XP Pro SP3 on my system, after installing it, I installed Intel Chipset drivers, Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers, then graphics, sound, etc. Whenever I plug in a modern USB 2.0 flash drive to the front or back ports, I get the "This device can perform faster" bubble down near the clock.

Has anyone with an XPS 420 and put XP Pro on their machine experienced this "advice"? FYI, Intel has newer Chipset and Matrix Storage Drivers as of 06/02/08, which by the way, did not help with this problem. I've saw advice about unplugging mouse/keyboard, refreshing and replugging in again, this didn't work.

Thanks.

June 6th, 2008 02:00

Funny you should mention it...I just did XP on a 420 this morning, and did about the same as you, updating the chipset, sata, ATI video and sound.  I did see the same message you got, once, but I didn't even have a flash drive plugged in (just a USB keyboard and mouse).

I did, though, plug in an external portable USB HD, and didn't get the "advice".

70 Posts

June 6th, 2008 05:00

Oh so you saw it for USB devices (mouse & keyboard) you already had plugged in? I never saw it for those, only when I plugged in a USB flash drive.

I can tell I'm going to have to diagnose this by restoring my "right-after-XP-is-installed" Ghost image and expirement plugging in the USB key and see what corrects it, then install things one at a time, see if at any point it works or not. I installed the same XP SP3 CD on my laptop just to see, installed drivers in the same order and when I plug in my USB key on the laptop, no message.

It's an odd message, USB 2.0 devices aren't exactly new. When I had Vista installed it never mentioned anything about the USB ports possibly being slow.

Expirementation time...

70 Posts

June 6th, 2008 06:00

Well, incredibly I've managed to solve it, I want to post here what I did. I went to the Device Manager (Start->Run then type devmgmt.msc):

...then right clicked each entry and selected the Uninstall option. Obviously the mouse and keyboard stopped functioning. I started at the bottom of the list "USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C" and worked my way up the list uninstalling each entry, I got to "USB Universal Host Controller - 2937" before the keyboard and mouse stopped responding.

At that point I pressed the power button on the front to shutdown, which XP did, I then powered back up again after waiting 30 seconds from power off, XP got to the user account login prompt, keyboard seemed to work at this point, logged in, plugged in the USB 2.0 flash drive - no bubble with "advice"!

I did a test to copy 300MB off the flash drive before I did these steps, and after, before it was noticably slower copying the files, after the steps above, it copies much faster.

No Events found!