Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2012 11:00

two mysteries in re-installation of XP OS: hard drive not recognized; XP error # 7

Trying to re-install OS in my Dell Dimension E521 with a New Dell hard drive; the old hard drive crashed

1) I  connected the new hard drive just like the old one (both look the same)

2) I am using the Dell Dimension recovery / reinstallation OS disc

3) computer boots with the disc but get “error message 7” on Windows XP startup and can't go any farther

4) when I change RAID to “on,” the set-up goes farther but then I get error message that computer can’t find the hard drive

Before booting, the computer shows that  SATA detects the new hard drive

5) But I never hear the hard drive operating 

Conclusion:

I need a different kind of disc to install OS?

Hard drive is defective?

Or ?

Thank you for your help!

Ron 

6.4K Posts

October 13th, 2012 13:00

Try going through this wiki article by natakuc4:  A Clean Install of Windows, especially the section on installation.  Your problem could be something in the Master Boot Record that Windows Setup is detecting as an installation of a foreign OS.  See if you can reach the point at which you have the option to delete and create partitions.  If you can at least see the new drive in that screen you may be able to delete any existing partition and create a new one.

Also, many Windows XP installation CDs did not come with drivers for SATA controllers.  The message you are seeing about being unable to find a hard drive suggests that Windows Setup doesn't have a driver for your controller.  Natakuc's Wiki also has a section on preparing the SATA drivers diskette you should review.

611 Posts

October 13th, 2012 19:00

you need to press F6 early in the installation and have the ahci driver on a floppy disc or change the drive mode setting in the Bios to ATA.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 17th, 2013 02:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                

No Events found!