Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2008 18:00

what kind of mobo is in an inspiron 530?

I switched my inspiron from it's original case to an atx case and noticed it was a foxconn mobo, does anybody know any info or where I can find out the model foxconn mobo it is? I have looked all over the support pages and have found no info on what model it is. I am trying to find out about hooking up the frontside audio and usb ports using the atx servos.

14.4K Posts

July 6th, 2008 19:00

The board while made by foxcon is a Dell board the only technical info you will find is HERE

So you had no issues switching cases??? How about posting more and pics to as this is not something that can normally happen without some significant case modifications..

18 Posts

July 6th, 2008 23:00

why commical, it has a foxconn board in it with 1033 fsb and a 2.4 quad-core, 4 gigs a 800 mhz ram, and a 8800 gts. I originally wanted to switch cases because of when I put the 8800 gts in the dell case had no airflow to handle the heat. it had one fan and the heat was pouring out with dangerously high temps. it's already together, all eccept the front audio and usb for the atx and it looks good. sure it's not as good mobo as my evga 790i ultra but it works good, and looks good. If I could only get the atx usb, and front audio headers to match up.

812 Posts

So, just for laughs... why did you upgrade all that hardware and decide it would be great to pair it with a 530 board?  Seems a little comical.

Nice looking case; beware, it will be a pain to organize the wires with that clear case so that it looks good.

18 Posts

I had no real issues switching cases from the dell inspirion to an atx case, no case mods had to be done or will need to done as soon as I figure out the front audio, usb, power led, hd led, and power switch. as you might already know a dell has color coded plugs that go directly into the headers and and atx case has separate servo like small connectors, marked neg and positive for usb, audio, mic, led power, hd led, etc. another option could be to get out the old dremel and make a little mod, but thats gonna be a last resort.

the mobo is a foxconn micro atx board and I put it in a clear uv blue logisys atx, I also put in a new kingwin 800 watt mod psu, since the psu in it was only 350 watts, I also switched out the 667 mgz ram for some 800 reapers, put in a sunbeam fan controller and cardbus, and upped my 8600 gpu to a 8800 gts evga.

I am also building another system with a evga 790i ultra mobo in an antec 900 case but thats another story all together.

thanks for your help.

18 Posts

July 7th, 2008 08:00

anyway, you should talk, I think it's kinda comical to add water cooling to a sonata case and 2 8800 gt's. why wouldn't you just get an antec 900 and 1 gx2 card, or even 2 gts 8800?

119 Posts

July 7th, 2008 11:00

The USB is standard just find a standard USB pin diagram to hook the single header connectors up.The power switch and led's just trace what pins on the motherboard the dell front panel wires went to and the audio is also standard.What did you do for a rear I/O plate make one or leave it unfinished.

812 Posts

July 7th, 2008 15:00

@cmdry72 wrote:
anyway, you should talk, I think it's kinda comical to add water cooling to a sonata case and 2 8800 gt's. why wouldn't you just get an antec 900 and 1 gx2 card, or even 2 gts 8800?

Touché.

I bought the Sonata case because I like how it is built.  The Ninehundred is too flimsy and noisy for my taste.

The dual 8800GTs: I bought the one 8800GT before the G92 GTS and the 9800's weren't even on the horizon; therefore the second one is also a 8800GT.  I didn't think it was worth buying two 8800GTSs when I already had a 8800GT and the difference in performance between the two isn't all that great.

The 530 is a strong machine, it's just that the board is limited to the compatible CPU selection, the memory speed, product support, and BIOS options.

18 Posts

July 7th, 2008 23:00

no it's cool, I'm just messin with you since you were downing my system. I do have an antec 900 case though and it is sturdy, rock, solid and very quiet for the amount of fans. I'm making my gaming system in the 900 case, and using all top of the line stuff. as for this machine, I think I'm going to cut a hole in for the usb and audio to fit the dell. and make my own io panel. Time to fire up the dremel.

812 Posts

July 8th, 2008 02:00

Sweet!

I guess I have never owned a 900, just seen them in the stores.  Must have just got the wrong impression of them.

Fx4baja has done a few of these system mods (dell guts in a non-dell case and vice versa) so he is a good person to have close at hand.

18 Posts

July 8th, 2008 10:00

the 900 is def. a great case. I work with a couple guys that are professional gamers and they recomended the 900 for me as the best case on the market for building a high end gaming system, which I am buying piece by piece. The only thing is the price.

this is what I am putting into her...

antec 900 atx

xion 800 watt psu

2.5 quad-core

evga 790i ultra mobo

4 gigs, 2000 mhz. ddr3 dominators

2- 500 gig seagate barracudas 7200 rpm/ 3 gps

and I am not sure what graphics card(s) I am gonna go with yet?

either a gx2 or one of the new gtx 260's?

I went with the 2.5 quad because it had a faster fsb than the 2.4 & the 2.66

812 Posts

July 8th, 2008 15:00

Consider the Radeon 4870:  I has better performance in most games than a gtx 260 -- especially at high resolutions -- but costs less.
Message Edited by ty_ger on 07-08-2008 11:41 AM

18 Posts

July 8th, 2008 23:00

I don't buy ati, only nvidia, mostly evga.

812 Posts

July 9th, 2008 00:00

I was the same as you, but I am starting to reconsider.

Do some reading about the 4870, you may be amazed.  ATI has definately refined the technology a lot more than NVIDIA when they released the 4800 series.  They are packing many more transistors in a smaller size than NVIDIA currently is.  Even though the 4870 has 400million less transistors than the GTX260, it is more powerfull due to better hardware use.

ATI is also the first to offer GDDR5 which is much faster memory which means it has a much higher memory bandwidth for improved performance at high resolutions and with AA/AF.  Even though the 4870 has half the memory of a GTX260 (currently, but a 1GB version will be coming), it still outperforms the GTX260 at high resolutions and with AA/AF due to the memory optimizations.

Compare the 4870 with the GTX260 here.

18 Posts

July 9th, 2008 10:00

yea, I did see that they have ddr5, that's surprizing they beat nvidia to that one. how many pipelines does the 4870 have? the thing I like about evga is the step-up program. this may be a dumb question but... can you use a 4870 card being ati with intel? for some reason I always thought amd/ ati and intel/nvdia or do they just pair them together because of cost?

119 Posts

July 9th, 2008 13:00

@cmdry72 wrote:
yea, I did see that they have ddr5, that's surprizing they beat nvidia to that one. how many pipelines does the 4870 have? the thing I like about evga is the step-up program. this may be a dumb question but... can you use a 4870 card being ati with intel? for some reason I always thought amd/ ati and intel/nvdia or do they just pair them together because of cost?

Ati works great with Intel you can use either. The only deciding factor is if you wanted 2 run two cards in crossfire or SLI.

No Events found!