Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2018 20:00

The RG number issue for six site ECS system

One bank customer want to deploy six site ECS system. because the existing bucket's replication group cann't be changed and one Customer application bucket's replication requirement may change from one site to many site following customer web application client deployment later. So field team want to create one dedicated RG for one Bucket(less buckets) and the RG number will  be tens of thousands. Can you help to confirm it is ok? Many Thanks for your support.

281 Posts

May 14th, 2018 08:00

Hi Gerry,

We only recommend using a few RGs total. Each RG requires a separate set of database tables to track that RG's objects and increases memory consumption on the ECS. Having hundreds or even thousands of RGs would not work. If requirements change, you can always copy data to a new bucket in a new RG.

8 Posts

May 14th, 2018 09:00

Hi Jason,

Many Thanks for your support.

Q1. How many is the max RG number of each site?

Q2. How to calculate the memory comsumption about RGs ?

13 Posts

May 14th, 2018 16:00

I'm not sure about the calculation for memory consumption, but the max # of replication group sites is 8.

22 Posts

May 15th, 2018 07:00

If by "max # of replication group sites" you mean the maximum number of sites that can be mapped to a replication group, then imo that should be minimized (like 2).

pros (of adding more sites to an individual rep group):

- The sites are included in the rep group can be used as access nodes

- XOR storage efficiency increase (I don't think that this is of much significance though)

cons:

- only a single site failure within a rep group can be tolerated. As you add more sites to a rep group, the odds of more than 1 being simultaneously down, increases

- I'm only speculating here, but I think it would add complication and increased burden to the garbage collection resources and chunk reclamation

8 Posts

May 15th, 2018 19:00

We use full replication mode for geo-active.

No Events found!