Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2009 10:00

ISM Book Chapter 4: Intelligent Storage System

A new week means its time from a new ISM book chapter review question! This week's question is from chapter 4 in the ISM book:

A company is building out an environment to support their new web ordering software. The software expected to have a very high transaction rate.
The company's data center is located in a building that has limited ability to expand power consumption.  What types of disk drives would best suit this company's storage needs?

Please provide reasons to justify your answer. As always, extra points for including diagrams!

To see other ISM book review questions, click here.

47 Posts

September 29th, 2009 08:00

I would either recommend EFD's or go with FC-disks, depending on the expected size of the application. EFD's would be the preferred solution since they require less power, but they have the disadvantage that the sizes they come in (taking in to account the currently GA disks) can be a bit smaller than the FC-disks.

Optimal would probably be a combination of both disks (possibly even SATA disks) with the appropriate storage tiers to back up the performance requirements so we have a mixture of bigger and slower disks for bulk capacity and flash drives for optimal performance.

39 Posts

September 29th, 2009 08:00

I haven't read the chapter or the book but am going to get it later this week. But my answer for the question would have to be the best drive would be ssd drives as they can allow for better transfer rate and consume less power.

452 Posts

September 29th, 2009 10:00

Bas, nice to hear from you again.  I still remember sledge hockey (we 'talked' about it a while back!)

47 Posts

October 2nd, 2009 05:00

Hey Michelle,

hope you are doing ok? Yep, I'm still playing, we have a big tournament next week. Too bad there aren't more replies here, would be interesting to see different opinions on this.

82 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 12:00

We have a winner! Acutally, both of the replies are good, and for your participation Luigi Danakos and Sebastian Raayman, you get our small prize.

Thanks!

Charles

Community Manager

No Events found!