Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 27th, 2014 13:00

MOOC in Enterprise

Hello.

I am in process of gathering information for a training session that will discuss creative and more effective ways of knowledge transfer. I hope most of you will agree that listening to an instructor's either live or recorded session may be boring and and sometimes hard to focus on. I have some information how to engage students but I would like to know how to engage EMC learners to increase knowledge retention and interest. Please provide your suggestions that would keep you interested in learning within following boundaries:

1) Online - the idea has to be accessible via a website (mobile).

2) Short - the activity cannot be longer than few minutes.

3) Self-paced - the activity should be completed without instructor's assistance.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

April 1st, 2014 10:00

The reference to online games helps. Some games are famous for being “addictive.” I think the draw may be the feeling of steady progression toward mastery, whether you are leveling up in a role-playing game such as World of Warcraft, or earning higher and higher scores in a game such as Tetris or Candy Crush.

Thus, perhaps one suggestion would be to prove to the students that they are progressing toward mastery. Here’s one idea: create a quiz that is intentionally hard, and have the students take it right at the start of the online course. Presumably they would score poorly. Then after a module or two of learning, the students take the quiz again and see how easily they can answer the questions that seemed tough before receiving instruction. Maybe this would contribute to the sense of mastering the topic; and of course, facing the questions twice seems likely to increase retention.

March 28th, 2014 15:00

I would love to respond to this but your question is fairly vague. Presumably you've already heard of MOOCs and gamification, which each offer interactivity and the potential for increased knowledge retention at the user's pace. Were you hoping we'd suggest a specific activity? If so, can you provide clarification about your intended learning objective, or some further context?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 31st, 2014 04:00

Hello.

You understood my question very well, even though it is vauge. I am looking for feedback that will help me learn what drives the interest in playing online games or posting messages on facebook wall. All these activities must be generating pleasant emotions that make participants to do it over and over again. I intend to use your suggestions during design phase to structure new form of learning. Please think beyond the examples that I gave here.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 1st, 2014 10:00

Great. Mastery and Progression. These are the two, that I would like to draw into the new structure. I see Mastery as Mastery of a current topic before moving to the next one. I believe that some of us at one point, have acquired enough knowledge to move to the next level without mastering it. This approach creates shaky foundation that may limit the progression later on, forcing someone to go back and relearn the basics again.

How about informal training that take place outside the training facilities such as blogs or messages like this one?

What is the driving factor for using them?

No Events found!