Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2011 03:00

Regarding career in SAN and certification

Hi All,

My name is chetan.Currently working in the networking industry for the past 4 years.

At first place can anyone please advise whether is it right idea of thinking to join SAN and leaving networking(not interested in networking much).

I am pretty much interested in Storage area network but have very few details about SAN as a career.

I want to collect more information regarding career in SAN,the various roles one can have,the various certification one has to achieve.

How will you see yourself in SAN industry in the next three or five years?

I have heard about ISM,clariion and symmetrix,mcdata,broacade,cisco to start with,but which book to refer and which training institute to join if any?

Also can you advise or recommend 10 people who are expertise in SAN and have achieved great excellence(highest level of certification) in the same field so that i can speak to them.

Would really appreciate for the help in advance.

Also revert incase of any queries.

Thanks and Regards,

Chetan.

11 Posts

November 5th, 2011 11:00

Dear Chethan,

I appreciate your interest in SAN domain.I request you ,to start focusing on SAN,VIRTUALISATION asap.As far as your experiance is considered its the right time to go for the same.You can start by doing a course/certification on either EMC-ISM or SNIA.Both contains same contents but different standards.Since you are strong in networking ,you wont find that difficulty .Storage is such a vast subject were in no one can say iam perfect!!!!

Once you are done with your course you have n number of options . You can move FC-SWitches (Brocade,Cisco,Mcdata) or learn on storage boxes such as symmetrix,clarion,cellera,Vmax ,netapps etc.

If you need training :Check out sancenter in bangalore ...

or go for vcp 5.0 training ,its gona cover networking ,storage and virtualisation .VTP center in bangalore is a good institute

ALL the best

Thanks

Sreejith

EMC -ISM|VCP 4.1|MCP

November 9th, 2011 23:00

Hi Sreejith,

Really Thanks for the information.Do you know if any good sancenter in Mumbai or Pune?

Also any specific books or material that i can refer to?

Regards,

Chetan

11 Posts

November 11th, 2011 03:00

Dear Chethan,

Iam not that sure with respect to the training centers in Mumbai.Yes there are few book available which will give a pretty good idea on SAN& NAS.EMC education team will be able to help you with respect to ISM books or else go for SNIA.There are no difference in topics between both .I  was a trainer for symmetrix/San so i can gurantee you ISM books ans SNIA material both are eqaully goods

Check this link also http://www.snia.org/

Thanks

Sree.....

No Events found!