Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 13th, 2015 00:00

VNX5400 LUN EXPANSION

HI,

We have VNX5400,  i want  expand the 500gb lun(it's in pool), i get error while expanding (same size) more than 500 it supporting.can any one tell why ? how can i expand 200gb for this lun.

October 14th, 2015 00:00

When you expand a pool LUN you will be prompted to enter the total NEW capacity you want the LUN to be expanded to, not the amount you want to increase it by.

So if your current LUN size is 500GB, and you want to expand it by a further 200GB, you will enter 700GB into the "New User Capacity:" box.

October 13th, 2015 03:00

What is the exact error ?

3 Posts

October 13th, 2015 04:00

hi Brett,

This is error message.

Requested new user capacity should be greater than the current user capacity.enter a valid integer for the current user capacity

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 13th, 2015 11:00

Damodar,

Please see the note below...this is mentioned in VNX2 white paper.

Expanding pool LUNs

Virtual Provisioning also simplifies storage management tasks by providing the ability

to expand pool LUNs with a few simple clicks. The underlying pools can also be

expanded by adding drives non-disruptively when additional physical storage space

is required. Using thin provisioning reduces the time and effort required to provision

additional storage, and avoids provisioning storage that may not be needed.

Note: LUNs that are assigned to VNX for File cannot be expanded. If additional

capacity is required on VNX for File, new LUNs should be created and assigned for

AVM to manage.

For a thick LUN, the pool must have enough storage for the LUN expansion to

succeed, whereas for a thin LUN the storage does not need to be available. It is

important to note that you cannot expand a pool LUN if it is part of a LUN-migration or

data protection operation such as MirrorView.

Regards,

Murthy Chilla

3 Posts

October 14th, 2015 03:00

got it,

Thank you

No Events found!