Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 11th, 2012 08:00

Bios update settings

Hello,

hope I'm right here. In my company we have several Dell Latitude D620 Notebooks. Now I've to read out the Bios configuration, make changes and then write it back. All this in a project of Bios update rollout. Please tell me if you know a tool which can do this. I had success with our other hardware platforms, but in connections with notebooks like Dell Latitude I have great problems. Or do you know a vbscript which is capable for this?

Thanks very much in advance:  Paul3241   :emotion-8: 

September 11th, 2012 09:00

Hi Paul,

There are a few different ways you can accomplish this, however I'm not sure why you need to read in the existing BIOS configuration.  Wouldn't it make more sense to just set the settings you want and call it a day?

In either case, check out the Dell Client Configuration Toolkit (CCTK) and Dell OpenManage Client Instrumentation (OMCI).

The Dell CCTK is a standalone utility where you can actually create an executable with all of the BIOS settings you want set (per model, or generic) and then use a tool like SCCM to distribute the EXE and it will apply the BIOS settings for you.

Dell OMCI is a bit different.  It provides a new WMI Namespace and Classes that you can both read from and write to using built in methods available via both VBscript and PowerShell.  

If you are doing this all for the same model and you aren't going to be setting the Asset Tag, then CCTK is the way to go.  Otherwise, leveraging Dell OMCI (at least for setting the Asset Tag) is extremely useful.

Here is some posts with more information:

deploymentramblings.wordpress.com/.../dell-omci-8-xchanging-the-asset-tag-with-powershell

en.community.dell.com/.../1952.dell-client-configuration-toolkit.aspx

en.community.dell.com/.../1773.openmanage-client-instrumentation-omci.aspx

3 Posts

September 12th, 2012 02:00

Hi dhedges01,

thanks very much for your answer. Under the tools collection OMCI there is one script called getbiossetting which could be used very good to read out the Bios settings. Well, then I only have to modify the output file and write it back. If only there would be an additional script or tool withwhich I could write back the settings. Can you help me again and mention a tool or script which can write to Bios from a file? Thank you.

Greetings to you from Paul3241

3 Posts

September 12th, 2012 03:00

Sorry dhedges01,

for I didn't read enough, so I should realize that I can use CCTK for input and output bios settings reading / writing. So well, thank you very much for your help!!!

Much greetings from Paul3241  :emotion-1:

No Events found!