Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2009 14:00

Boot Order

I am attempting to change the boot order within WinPE after imaging a machine from a USB key. I basically want to not have it boot from USB and boot from the HD. But, the new machine is an E4300, so the normal HDD isn't the one that it boots from it's the RAID. There is no option to change the order of the RAID. So I wanted to put the USB device on the skip list. Well, even though your documentation states that "usbhdd" is valid the cctk.exe tool will not accept it. I get "Unsupported Device. Re-try with supported device." The rest of the command line is correct "cctk.exe bootorder --sequence=cdrom,hdd" works fine, adding ",usbhdd" breaks it and so does "--skiplist=usbhdd".

4 Posts

September 15th, 2009 05:00

I'm having the exact same problem, and for the same reasons.

118 Posts

September 15th, 2009 20:00

Thanks for the post- I'll investigate and see what we can find out.

18 Posts

February 11th, 2010 13:00

"I am attempting to change the boot order within WinPE after imaging a machine from a USB key. I basically want to not have it boot from USB and boot from the HD. But, the new machine is an E4300, so the normal HDD isn't the one that it boots from it's the RAID. There is no option to change the order of the RAID. So I wanted to put the USB device on the skip list. Well, even though your documentation states that "usbhdd" is valid the cctk.exe tool will not accept it. I get "Unsupported Device. Re-try with supported device." The rest of the command line is correct "cctk.exe bootorder --sequence=cdrom,hdd" works fine, adding ",usbhdd" breaks it and so does "--skiplist=usbhdd"."
On my E6500 that is hdd.5. The HDD identified by IRRT should be the RAID HDD [Internal HDD (IRRT)].

3 Posts

February 12th, 2010 07:00

Ok, I went back and looked at this again. You still can't control the boot order when it comes to the IRRT drive. But, I did figure out how to disable USB HDD from the list.

cctk bootorder --skiplist=usbhdd

Still would be nice to be able to control the IRRT drive, but this solves my issue.

4 Posts

February 15th, 2010 03:00

even "cctk bootorder --skiplist=usbhdd" won't work for me, dosn't like the command.

I've used Dell Client Config Util to create a bios settings exe file ...
http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Dell+Client+Configuration+Utility+3.0

3 Posts

February 15th, 2010 06:00

"even "cctk bootorder --skiplist=usbhdd" won't work for me, dosn't like the command.

I've used Dell Client Config Util to create a bios settings exe file ...
http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Dell+Client+Configuration+Utility+3.0
"
Hmm, well, that command seems to be working correctly for me. The issue I have with the tool you are talking about is it's not supported in Windows PE. I need to change the boot order at that time. The technician boots up the machine so they can run the image tool to reiamge the machine, if they forget to pull the USB key it will just boot back to the tool. Sorry it's not working for you, might check your version.

4 Posts

February 15th, 2010 08:00

I was probably doing somethig stupid, but then you mentioned in your original post that --skiplist=usbhdd broke, I've lost confidence in this tool.

run the tool on any xp machine, maybe vista, didn't run on windows 7. (may have been an IE version thing, didn't investigate much) But the important thing is that you use the tool to create a settings executable file, the settings.exe file is a stand alone exe which does run under winpe.

I'm running it as part of the wpeinit launch script, so when the machine reboots as part of the imaging sequence it dosn't boot from USB.
No Events found!