Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

April 20th, 2017 01:00

DELL XPS 13 battery life dropping

Hello,

I recently bought a Dell xps 13 9360, i5 7th gen, 8Go RAM under Windows 10 64 bits.

It has been around 2 weeks of a perfect utilisation so far, but since some recent software updates by windows and dell, I noticed that my battery life has dropped significantly.

To illustrate my issue : I charged my laptop fully last night and shut it down afterwards, and by using it this morning with Google Chrome and PowerPoint under mid brightness, I have an expected battery life of 4hours (approximately).

I did not install any "demanding" software (or maybe only WoW that I played twice) and did not noticed any overheating problem (only a bit when I use a lot of RAM, which I think is normal?).

Last night, when my battery life was critically low, I got the dell screen to notify it and proposed me to run various scans, which I did, and no problems were detected.

Would you have any idea why my battery life is dropping this fast after only 2 weeks?

Thank you for you help,

Charles.

May 31st, 2017 04:00

• Change your display settings
  • head to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options and make sure you choose a Balanced or Power Saver plan. Use the High performance plan only when you need a boost for gaming or high-end graphics apps.
  • Don't forget keyboard backlighting
  • Turn off wireless and unplug peripherals
  • Remove Load of many unwanted Backup Programs and process
  • Also Graphic can be  very High and consuming battery 
  • Check Dell XPS 13 Manual for more recommendations. 

2 Posts

August 9th, 2017 14:00

This may or may not be your problem, but would certainly affect battery life.  One immediate clue is if you notice increased fan noise - there should be none at idle and very little except under heavy load.

My XPS 13 (9360) somehow had the notorious Intel "LMS" service running, which was constantly taking more than 30% of the CPU and and running it red hot (90 deg C!) with the fan spinning loudly.  I've posted elsewhere about this but briefly:  Local Management Service may have some corporate but is evidently not needed on a private PC.  With admin privileges, go into Windows services management and locate "Intel Management and Security Application - Local Management Service".  Open its properties, stop the service, and set its startup type to "Disabled".  It's probably also a good idea to locate and delete the file LMS.exe.

I'm interested in whether or not you found this service running and if it was your problem.

No Events found!