Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2009 14:00

Dell Optiplex 760 Nic driver issues

I have been going round and round with Dell's Optiplex 760 Nic drivers trying to get them to load correctly in Windows PE 3.0. Has anyone ever seen this issue? The driver that Windows PE does load works slightly but looks like it has major latency issues, I monitored the throughput with an FTP server loaded on the system center box. I could never get a directory list from FTP. I switched to an older Windows PE 2.1 and everything worked perfectly, but i would like to start loading Windows 7 and will need the new Windows PE 3.0 but these drivers will not load "Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection"

I researched the drivers that the windows PE 3.0 is loading here is the lines below:

Spent 1061ms installing network components
Info Installing device pci\ven_8086&dev_10de X:\windows\INF\net1k32.inf succeeded
Info Spent 3276ms installing network drivers
Info UGC process exit code is 0x00000000
Info Executed UGC; identity[Microsoft-Windows-TCPIP, Culture=neutral, Version=6.1.7100.0,

Turns out this is the release to manufacture drivers from windows 7, and to add the driver for the correct nic has been loaded on the Windows PE 3.0 boot disk by SCCM and it still tries to load this driver during OSD!

The driver that it should be loading is "e1k6032.inf" is there any way to make Windows PE 3.0 use this driver instead of the drivers that come preloaded with the default Windows PE 3.0 build?

Seems like a PNP fail to me.

October 19th, 2009 13:00

UPDATE: 10/19/09
Oh well thanks guys for all the help, but it looks like System Center was put on the backburner. There were too many issues that was run into that took too long to figure out. Seems kinda sad to me, but looks like they are switching to KACE and looking for a simpler box that takes all the work out of doing this and they assume KBOX will do everything System Center will do but quicker and better.

So in light of this new information I would like to thank everyone that has helped and gave me advice in running and configuring this box. I'm kinda sad because SCCM looks to me to have greater customablity then KBOX.

Take care.

118 Posts

October 19th, 2009 22:00

sorry to hear you're not going to go with ConfigMgr - I saw a Kbox demo a few years ago, but don't know what they currently offer. ConfigMgr offers a lot of scalability and flexibility, but may require a bit more learning curve on the front end. Good luck, and be sure to post a review at some point about your experience with Kbox - I'd like to understand it a bit more myself.

Greg

November 30th, 2009 12:00

Yet again they change their minds and now are looking at SCCM as a viable solution. I do believe the KBOX was a bit over what was considered allowable spending. So I will be back asking more questions, Greg I had a couple initial configuration questions that I would like to get your opinion.

118 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 20:00

Paul - I sent you my email address via DM on twitter today. feel free to email me there, or send me a direct message through delltechcenter. greg

5 Posts

December 9th, 2009 12:00

Is there a fix for this? I am having the same problem

December 9th, 2009 20:00

As it turns out that specific error ended up to be what i believe to be an issue with the WAIK Windows PE3.0 download. Because we ended up rebuilding our SCCM Site and found that the new download worked perfectly.

118 Posts

December 10th, 2009 09:00

glad to hear y ou have it working!

5 Posts

December 10th, 2009 10:00

Im not sure what is going on here then. I have SCCM SP2 /w mdt 2010, and the only computers i have problems with are the dell 760's. are you using an added in driver or just the base WinPE set? and to add more confusion to my problem, if i move the mouse around my latency issues disappear but when i stop moving the mouse everything is slow. It takes 30 mins to image an Optiplex 755, and 3 hours to image an optiplex 760

December 11th, 2009 06:00

Did you re-download the WAIK? my Optiplex 755 and 760 running a base image of Windows XP SP3 with all the updates to yesterday was taking from punching the power button to logging into the new system was right at 16 minutes. That is no software updates and no Software installs.

Thanks Greg, I knew something was seriously wrong when you told me that you had the same version and never had issues in one of the chats. I dont think anyone else was using WinPE 3.0 at the time i first had this issue.

Before with the old broken WinPE 3.0 Optiplex 760 took sometimes almost 3-5 hours to complete. If that helps any.

5 Posts

December 11th, 2009 09:00

I figured out the problem, with winPE 3.0 you need to be at bios version a05, which came out at the end of september. Alot of our machines we have recieved did not have that bios. Looks like there was an issue in winPE with the usb and the NIC causing major latency issues. After a bios update i can now fully image pcs with software installs in 30 mins.

December 12th, 2009 10:00

Maybe I just don't know but,
How is the bios and nic drivers related?

3 Posts

December 16th, 2009 11:00

This bios updated the PXE boot agent. Also, this bios upgrade came after the final release for MDT 2010 and the Windows 7 WAIK. a02 was published back in Feb.

1 Message

January 15th, 2010 21:00

"sorry to hear you're not going to go with ConfigMgr - I saw a Kbox demo a few years ago, but don't know what they currently offer. ConfigMgr offers a lot of scalability and flexibility, but may require a bit more learning curve on the front end. Good luck, and be sure to post a review at some point about your experience with Kbox - I'd like to understand it a bit more myself.

Greg
"
Feel free to try out the KBOX Systems Management Appliance using our new Trial KBOX by downloading it from KACE.
This is currently only the Systems Management KBOX 1000 series. We will soon offer a Trial KBOX Deployment Appliance which performs OS Deployment (OS Scripted Installs, Imaging, and User State Migration). Both KBOX Appliances are available now, but KACE only has a Downloadable Trial version for the Systems Management Appliance at this time.
http://www.kace.com/trial

KACE is now a partner with Dell and customers can purchase the KBOX from Dell and the KBOX Appliance is running on Dell hardware :-)

4 Posts

June 16th, 2010 11:00

You'll be happier with SCCM in the long run. Kbox is nice but when it comes to Vista and Windows 7 application deployment/management, you will find that you have to disable UAC. That may be fine for your organization but mine considers it to be an unacceptable risk.
No Events found!