Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 13th, 2013 00:00

E7240/E7440 - Intel Management Engine Drivers crashes Windows 7 setup

Hi all,

Just wonder if anyone else is having issues with Windows installation crashing with the Intel Management Engine Drivers injected directly in to the WIM Image?

The error message that pops up during the installation says "Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install Windows, restart the computer and the restart the installation". Once rebooted it will loops with the message " The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows click OK to restart the computer, and then restart the installation"  I've check the logs in X:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\, but can't find any thing useful (or understand).

I can get installation to complete by excluding the the IME drivers, but this leaves the device with no drivers in the Device manager. The same drivers can be installed manually with out any issues after Windows has finished installing. 

The driver revision for the 7 series latitudes I am using is A00 released on 09/06/2013.

1.1K Posts

September 25th, 2013 19:00

Some of the Windows 7 drivers for the new Dell systems may require an update of the KMDF to version 1.11.  The KMDF is a component of the OS and the update is available from Microsoft at the link below.  The usual treatment is to include the KMDF update into your base image until it is rolled up into a service pack.  Some of you may remember seeing this issue with XP/Vista when Win7 came on the scene.

Symptoms that a KMDF update is needed for a Windows 7 driver:

1.       Yellow bang in device manager for components that you know you have a driver available

2.       Black screen during OS deployment

http://www.microsoft.com/en-my/download/details.aspx?id=38423

Please post back if this helps address the issues you are seeing.

1.1K Posts

April 24th, 2014 13:00

make sure your driver package targeting is correct.  That is usually the case, when Auto-Apply works but Apply Driver Package does not.

3 Posts

September 25th, 2013 10:00

I'm having the same problem with OSD to an E7440 but without the drivers in the WIM image. I use an Auto Apply Drivers task to install PnP drivers during the task sequence and it's failing during the first boot initialization with the same error you are seeing.

I'm unable to access logs at that point though. How were you able to narrow down the problem to those specific drivers?

3 Posts

September 25th, 2013 12:00

I disabled the drivers which you suggested and still have the same problem during the "Setup is applying system settings" step.

5 Posts

September 25th, 2013 19:00

Hi Caf83,

With your first post, I just added one driver at a time (from the chipset folder) and re-deploy, took forever and it had to be the last driver that was failing on me:emotion-4:.

For your second post, I have also find, that the on E7440 laptops , the drivers for the 'ST Microelectronics Free Fall Sensor' device kills my windows installation as well as the IME drivers. The drivers for this are located in the folder E7440\win7\x86\chipset\08V18_A00-00\ in the CAB file.

By the way, I'm deploying Windows 7 Enterprise 32bit, using Lite touch via WDS  on USB or PXE.

I'll probably call DELL pro support to see if they help. I'll keep you posted if I get any where.

1.1K Posts

September 25th, 2013 20:00

Adding the KMDF update is best practice as it may pop-up in other areas later or until it gets pulled up in a service pack.  Best to get it out of the way now.  let me know if the ME driver is still problematic afterwards.

5 Posts

September 25th, 2013 20:00

Thanks Warren.

I'm not experiencing those symptoms and drivers work post windows installation. But I'll inject the update to the wim file and give a go :)

3 Posts

September 26th, 2013 07:00

It was a combination of the IME and the Accelerometer. Deployment was successful after I disabled both drivers. I decided to install them both later in the TS as a regular software install.

I downloaded the full driver package for each one, created silent installations and they tested fine in the OS. When I tried to run the IME install in the task sequence it installed the drivers successfully but exited with this error:

Failed to run the action: Install Intel Management Engine Driver.
Not enough storage is available to complete this operation. (Error: 8007000E; Source: Windows)

I was able to reboot into the OS and the drivers are installed and working properly. For now I just changed that task to continue on error.

I'm schedule to create a new core image next week so I'll make sure the KMDF is part of it and then retest the PnP installation and update this if it fixes the problem.

5 Posts

October 1st, 2013 23:00

Hi Warren,

I added the KMDF update to my .wim via dism and all drivers installed successfully during the OS installation.

Thanks for your help.

5 Posts

October 1st, 2013 23:00

Hi Warren,

I added the KMDF update to my .wim via dism and all drivers installed successfully during the OS installation.

Thanks for your help.

1 Message

October 2nd, 2013 07:00

I can also confirm that updating your base WIM with the KMDF fixes this issue.

6 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 17:00

After using the fix detailed in this thread, I ran into another issue deploying an image to the 7240 via SCCM 2012 OSD. The deployment task sequence is taking almost twice as long on this model than it does on other Dell models (E4310, 6320, and several in between), particularly on the "Setup Windows and ConfigMgr" task. All other things being equal, I usually see the task sequence complete within 48-55 minutes on the older models and a minimum of 1 hour 10 minutes to a maximum of 1 hour 45 minutes on the 7240. The only variable in the task sequence is driver packs.

Has anyone seen similar issues with deploying images to this model?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 8th, 2013 00:00

Hi!

We have the same issue with SCCM 2007 and SCCM 2012.

2 drivers from downloaded Dell CAB caused this problem.

Intel Management Interface %TEE_DeviceDesc%=TEE_DDI, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3A

and ST Microelektronics accellerator %ST_Accel.DeviceDesc%=          ST_Accel,         *SMO8800

I excluded them from the driver pack and install them as a package in the end of Task Sequencer. It solved the problem

1.1K Posts

November 8th, 2013 11:00

I highly encourage you to include the KMDF 1.11 update in your build process to permanently address this issue.  removing the drivers and installing them separately later is only a temporary solution and you will be faced with more issues as other new systems release that leverage the latest version of KMDF. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 11th, 2013 23:00

I see. But it is not for us now. We have more then 150 DPs and our WIM is about 6Gb. We can't do that quickly.

No Events found!