Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

September 29th, 2011 20:00

Installing Windows 8 developer on AF Drive

I'm trying to install the Windows 8 Preview on an m6600 with AF Drives (checked with the DellAFDT utiltity). It's going to be a dual boot install with Windows 8 installed on a vhd. When the installer gets to he point where you pick a partition to install on, the partition list is empty and it pops up an error message saying a driver is needed. I assume it's the AF drives causing the problems.

Is there any information specific to this problem? I've gotten the Intel RST driver for pre-OS, is this the right one to use during the install. Should I expect any issues with dual boot on the AF drives.I'm guessing someone at Dell has been doing Windows 8 installs... any on AF drives?

Thanks,
Dan

1.1K Posts

September 30th, 2011 15:00

I haven't loaded the Win8 dev preview on an M6600 or virtual machine. You have the correct driver, and may need to use a legacy driver if you are using VMware workstation 8.

3 Posts

September 30th, 2011 16:00

"I haven't loaded the Win8 dev preview on an M6600 or virtual machine. You have the correct driver, and may need to use a legacy driver if you are using VMware workstation 8."
Thanks Warren,

Now that I've looked closer there are two RST drivers, one says pre-OS and is just of OS. What's the difference between them?

The thing about the "Pre-OS" driver is the name makes it sound like it might do some kind of disk initialization. I just worried I might turn the drives into mush and end up with a long recovery process.

Also I not actually installing in a VM, just using a .vhd file rather than using a actual disk partition then I can dual boot between W7 and W8. BTW I was able to install Windows 7 SP into a .vhd this way without any problems, but the installer for Windows 7 SP is supposed to support Advanced Technology Drives.

Dan

1.1K Posts

October 3rd, 2011 10:00

The pre-OS is a subset of the standard RST driver in that it only contains the basic drivers needed when pre-loading them. If you are looking for just the basic drivers then you will get the same thing from either of them.

These drivers do not contain any hard drive initialization processes. They are drivers for the mass storage controller.

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 11:00

Thanks Warren,

That's really helps... I didn't know that AF drives existed 'till I got my m6600. I'll get back after I do the install with how it worked out.
No Events found!