Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2012 10:00

MDT 2012 deployment of Latitude E6520

I'm having an issue with the MDT deployment of Latitude E6520's. I have two of them; one was manufactured on 5/22/11 and the newest one was manufactured on 4/18/12. The problem is that on the newest one I have to set the SATA operation to ATA for it to image. If I don't set it to ATA I get "Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware."

On the oldest one, I can leave the SATA Operation to AHCI and it will work fine.

I have the latest CAB drivers from dell. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm new to posting so if I left anything out please feel free to ask.

7 Posts

June 21st, 2012 14:00

I had to rebuild the image itself. Seems there was a dormant driver that was causing the system to crash. After I rebuilt the image it images and boots fine.

1.1K Posts

June 13th, 2012 12:00

The newer unit may have an Advanced Format Hard Drive, which requires that your MDT configuration support Advanced Format drives.  You can review the requirements at en.community.dell.com/.../deploying-dell-systems-with-advanced-format-hard-drives.aspx

If that's not it, then we'll have to look deeper.

7 Posts

June 14th, 2012 06:00

I need to see if patching WinPE will work but the error comes up when Windows is trying to complete the installation. WinPE boots fine and images the laptop all the way up until Completing Installation stage. This leads me to believe that WinPE isn't the problem. I'm running WinPE version 6.1.7600.16385.

1.1K Posts

June 14th, 2012 10:00

You can use the Advanced Format Detection Tool (available at the link shared previously) to verify that one system has an AFHDD and the other doesn't.  

WinPE does need to be patched to properly create partitions on AFHDD's.  The issue is with the tool that WinPE uses to create the partitions, not WinPE itself.  So, you won't see an issue with an AFHDD system until it boots for the first time.

1.1K Posts

June 15th, 2012 07:00

If you've completed all of the steps outlined in the AFHDD preparedness link I posted previously, then that effectively removes the AFHDD from being the source of the problem.  Have you completed all of the steps?

7 Posts

June 15th, 2012 07:00

I patched WinPE but when the deployment gets to "Completing Installation" the problem still persists. It is an AFHD.

7 Posts

June 15th, 2012 09:00

Yes I have completed all the steps:

1. verfied that it is an AFHDD. There is an AF logo on the HDD itself. I also imaged the machine sucessfully by changing the SATA operation to ATA mode and used the Dell Advanced Format Detection Tool to ensure that I have an AFHDD.

Proof: http://i.imgur.com/ZFmjt.jpg

2. I am using WinPE 3.1. I am also not using a sysprep.inf but using an unattend.xml.

3. the OS has KB982018 and ensured I have the latest drivers. I'm using the A05 CAB drivers listed here: en.community.dell.com/.../2189.latitude-e6520-windows-7-driver-cab.aspx

that's pretty much as far as I can go. Seems odd to me that I can switch to ATA mode and successfully image but not in AHCI mode.

1.1K Posts

June 15th, 2012 14:00

Since you had your deployment working on one system, I didn't ask which OS you are deploying.  If it's XP, then it could be a Mass Storage driver issue.  If not, then I'm thinking it could be just this one system, unless you have others with the same symptom?  If you don't have mutiple systems with the same issue, then try the drive from the non-working system in the working system.  That would eliminate or identify the HDD as part of the problem.

7 Posts

Same result. I tried all HDD modes and the only one that worked was ATA.

1.1K Posts

What result do you get with the SATA Operation set to RAID On?  I heard of one HDD giving issues with just AHCI mode and would like to rule that out.

7 Posts

June 18th, 2012 11:00

Here's what I have done so far. The AFHDD was moved into a laptop that I knew imaged correctly, and failed. I have another AFHDD laptop that I tried to image, it failed. I updated the WinPE drivers that were just released 5 days ago and still failed.

1.1K Posts

June 21st, 2012 14:00

Glad to hear you got it sorted out!  Thanks for sharing the resolution to your issue.

No Events found!