Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2011 13:00

Mass Storage Hardware Controller issue?

I needed to remove windows 7 from my harddrive in order to revert to windows xp.  I formatted the drive ntfs, and upon attempting to install I get an error message "0x0000007B ..."

The process hangs before I can ever get into windows, but after files are loaded and appear to be installed. 

Looking that up, one of the suggestions is that the Mass Storage hardware controller is bad or the XP disc doesn't have the correct one.  

Does anyone have any insight into this?  I'm not sure where to get the missing file, and I don't know much about this system.  It was handed to me to fix at a new position.

Thank you in advance.

57 Posts

December 14th, 2011 21:00

I bet the BIOS is set to use AHCI for the hard drives. XP doesn't work with AHCI unless you have updated drivers at install time as Warren mentioned. You can also go into the BIOS and change the drives to IDE or Legacy (exacting wording varies) mode so then you wouldn't need to bother with special drivers at install time.

1.1K Posts

December 14th, 2011 13:00

You will need to get the Mass Storage Driver from support.dell.com and when loading XP, press F6 to add mass storage drivers at the beginning of the installation.

December 15th, 2011 07:00

Yes!  This absolutely fixed the issue.  Thank you!

No Events found!