Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2010 15:00

SCCM 2007 XP-SP3 OSD for new 6510 and 6410 problems...

Anyone have success using the driver .CAB files for XP-SP3 on the E6510 or E6410?
Win7 works great, and XP/Vista/Win7 work great on E6500/E6400, but when trying to get it working on the new systems, the system freezes after they boot into XP for the first time and attempt to run the mini-setup portion (setup Windows) of the task sequence. This is not a mass storage driver issue, the system is booting into XP and starting, I see the XP splash page come up, there is lots of HDD activity and then I get the 'Please wait' message and soon after that the system hangs, all HDD activity stops. No errors, nothing, also can't use F8 to get to CMD window and view logs. I have tried to boot to CD and access various TS, and Setup logs on the HDD, but have not found any errors. I am assuming it is starting the WMI query to install the system drivers, but something is hanging it up. Any ideas would be helpful - thx!

48 Posts

May 19th, 2010 07:00

I am having the exact same problem. I think the problem is due to a driver that is locking the system up during the pnp phase. I am going to try disabling drivers one at a time in the driver package to see if I can locate the driver giving me issues. I would suggest you do the same. If you find the driver post the name back here so others can see which one is having the issue. I will do the same. My first guess is video or touchpad driver. Thats where I am going to start.

4 Posts

May 19th, 2010 07:00

I'm seeing the issue too. From setupapi.log, i suspect the problem is with the FreeFall sensor driver. trying to install the driver standalone results in: "Driver is not intended for this platform". I would kill for an updated driver for this.

Thanks!
d

4 Posts

May 19th, 2010 10:00

but the freefall sensor sits on the ACPI bus, so I suspected that it's possible that it's somehow hindering the mini-setup reboot from happening. I don't know enough about the ACPI bus to know whether this is possible, but a driver that fails to load certainly is supicious to me.

I also found another item about the battery.inf driver not loading correctly on an earlier BIOS revision of the E6400 and causing sysprep hangs. I'm investigating that right now.

Guys from Dell..any thoughts?

Thanks
d

5 Posts

What mass storage driver does the 6410 use?

48 Posts

After the driver package applied and before the task sequence rebooted to run mini setup, I went to the c:\drivers folder and located the FreeFall Sensor driver and deleted the files from that folder so they could not plug and play upon reboot. It is still locking up. It must be a different driver.

38 Posts

May 19th, 2010 11:00

Found this site for XP Mass Storage drivers - http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Operating+System+Deployment+-+XP+Mass+Storage+Driver+Reference. Also according to the Dell white paper - SCCM-OSDeployment.pdf (found here http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Dell+Business+Client+Operating+System+Deployment), which is from 2009, it appears that they recommend using 'Auto Apply Drivers with categories' for XP on Latitude systems instead of 'Deploy Driver Package' as it is supposed to work better with PnP installs... I guess I might give that a try.

38 Posts

There is also a WinPE driver package which includes all Network and Storage drivers for all Dell systems, assuming you are using SCCM, have you updated your WinPE Boot image with the latest drivers?

1 Message

Hell, I can't even get to the point of it asking me what image I want to use. What drivers did you guys include in the Boot Images??

4 Posts

in ATA mode:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A

R268416 for WinXP 32-bit

not sure about SATA mode ids.

38 Posts

According Dell documentation I am reading, in your SCCM Task sequence in Apply Driver Package you would choose the Intel(R) ESB2 SATA RAID Controller w/ model Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E/5 Series SATA RAID Controller if your BIOS is set to RAID On (IRR - Intel Rapid Restore Technology). If you want to use AHCI, then you would use Intel(R) ESB2 SATA AHCI Controller, model Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller and your BIOS set to AHCI.

38 Posts

"but the freefall sensor sits on the ACPI bus, so I suspected that it's possible that it's somehow hindering the mini-setup reboot from happening. I don't know enough about the ACPI bus to know whether this is possible, but a driver that fails to load certainly is supicious to me.

I also found another item about the battery.inf driver not loading correctly on an earlier BIOS revision of the E6400 and causing sysprep hangs. I'm investigating that right now.

Guys from Dell..any thoughts?

Thanks
d"
is the Free Fall Sensor enabled in your BIOS? under System Configuration\Miscellaneous Devices...

48 Posts

May 19th, 2010 12:00

"The Turbo Boost Technology driver is the one that is NOT included in the .CAB file..."
Oh its there, 4 times. (impcd.inf) It is located in the x86\cpu\R268066 , x86\video\R257407 , x64\cpu\R268066 , x64\video\R257408 folders in the E6410 CAB.

4 Posts

Yes, but disabling it in the BIOS does not prevent the device from showing within Windows... another suspicious item. toggling it on and off does not change the mini-setup hang.

d

38 Posts

Interesting... I am only using x86 (not 64bit XP); the R# I see on the download site it R255188 for the Turbo Boost Technology driver. Let us know how the testing goes!

38 Posts

I re-downloaded the .CAB files from Dell and then started going through and comparing them to the individual drivers listed for the E6510, for Windows XP and I am noticing some new drivers. I have not gone through them all yet, but so far the Audio driver is newer - released 5/4/2010 R267815, also there appears to be an extra driver listed under chipset (4, instead of 3 in the .CAB file) and the HECI and Ricoh drivers are both released 5/5/2010 with the HECI listed as Urgent... perhaps this is where the problem lies... I think I am going to end up downloading each of these and importing them using the combination of Auto Apply Drivers + Categories in the TS...
No Events found!