Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2011 11:00

Seriously Dell...

3 weeks trying to run a pilot for a decent sized roll-out and you guys still can't get your act together with these NVS4200M injectable drivers. It's confirmed that neither DELL nor NVIDIA care if hardware is supported before releasing it as even the 270.61's that released on April 18/2011 does not officially support tis hardware. Manual install from the Dell pack works but the hardware functionality is questionable and these are injection packages so manually installing these isn't an option.

Who can give me a straight answer to when are these REAL drivers going to be available, because so far Dell CFI(US and Canada) and nVidia have just thrown up a wall and offer a full re-customization of the image with the drivers pre-installed as a solution...which makes a 20 second process into a 12 hour process(with testing).

38 Posts

April 20th, 2011 14:00

We are having a problem specifically with the E6520 (with the touch screen) and the nVidia drivers using SCCM 2007 SP2, however test deployment to E6420 and E6320 have been flawless.

1.1K Posts

April 22nd, 2011 14:00

As soon as there is an ETA for the new driver, we'll let you know. At this time, it's still being worked on by Nvidia and Dell engineers.

May 12th, 2011 02:00

Still nothing about this?

4 Posts

May 12th, 2011 07:00

We've been having problems with their Latitude drivers in general. They really need fix these issues immediately.

3 Posts

May 13th, 2011 00:00

"We've been having problems with their Latitude drivers in general. They really need fix these issues immediately."
So have we. Trying to SysPrep or use an autounattend.xml from WAIK with an e6420 and it coughs up a hairball ('Error Handle' error) on the on the FF Protection driver every time.

Our Demo Elitebook shows up Tuesday. Hopefully HP doesn't have this issue...

1 Message

May 13th, 2011 12:00

"So have we. Trying to SysPrep or use an autounattend.xml from WAIK with an e6420 and it coughs up a hairball ('Error Handle' error) on the on the FF Protection driver every time.

Our Demo Elitebook shows up Tuesday. Hopefully HP doesn't have this issue... "
Perhaps it's a coincidence, but today I'm getting the 'Error Handle' error and I've never seen it before. Laptop is the E6320. First I used a wim image I had built from the ground up on a 4310 laptop. Got the Error Handle message right after Sysprep when the machine first logs in. Machine is usable, but the message won't go away. Then I built an image from the ground up using the Dell Windows 7 Pro disk and installed all of the drivers for a perfect Device Manager. Sysprep oobe generalize (no xml file) and I get the "Error Handle" error again!

I don't think this is the "3 image" problem because the build is a brand new first time build.

You mention the FF Protection driver. Is that the Free Fall driver? How do you know the error is associated with that driver? Would a reinstall fix it?

I have 30+ laptops to roll out, so I need to figure this out. I've never used an image out of the box...I always rebuild. But that's starting to look like my next try. Hope that will work.

May 13th, 2011 14:00

I just sent out these instructions to our techs to use after imaging an E6420/E6520 (no touch screen display). We are able to install the drivers manually after imaging and doesn't take but a couple of minutes to do so (provided you copy the installer to a local network share). Hopefully it'll help some of you until nVidia and Dell can get this mess sorted out. So far, these instructions have worked on every system deployed.

Windows 7 x64:
1. Download and install the video driver from support.dell.com (It should be version 8.17.12.6696, A01)
2. Choose “Express Installation”
3. Reboot when prompted
Windows XP x86:
1. Open the Computer Management Console and navigate to the Device Manager
2. Disable (Right-Click) the “Display Adapter” device that is failing to properly install via OSD.
3. Uninstall (Right-Click) any additional video adapters that may be listed
4. Run the video driver installer from support.dell.com (It should be version 6.14.12.6696, A01)
5. Choose “Express Installation”
6. Reboot when prompted

1.1K Posts

May 19th, 2011 13:00

Testing with Nvidia drivers is ongoing, but no fix yet for deploying via ConfigMgr/PNP. For now, you must either use software distribution to install the driver as another task sequence item, or manually install it post deployment.

I'll keep you posted.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2011 11:00

"Perhaps it's a coincidence, but today I'm getting the 'Error Handle' error and I've never seen it before. Laptop is the E6320. First I used a wim image I had built from the ground up on a 4310 laptop. Got the Error Handle message right after Sysprep when the machine first logs in. Machine is usable, but the message won't go away. Then I built an image from the ground up using the Dell Windows 7 Pro disk and installed all of the drivers for a perfect Device Manager. Sysprep oobe generalize (no xml file) and I get the "Error Handle" error again!

I don't think this is the "3 image" problem because the build is a brand new first time build.

You mention the FF Protection driver. Is that the Free Fall driver? How do you know the error is associated with that driver? Would a reinstall fix it?

I have 30+ laptops to roll out, so I need to figure this out. I've never used an image out of the box...I always rebuild. But that's starting to look like my next try. Hope that will work.
"
The Error Handle message is from the FF driver. I removed it, reboot then resintall and it worked as it should. I was shocked after a deploy that it did that and the video and have been going over my options over the weekend. Glad I found this thread!

1 Message

June 2nd, 2011 05:00

I am absolutely sick of the E6320 - I cant image them using Clonezilla, almost everything I do forces them into startup repair mode, I found an updated Chipset driver which allowed me to install the Encryption Software, but I get the startup repair mode problem when I use a Windows Supplied disk, but not the Dell disk, if I create a user with a password, again startup repair comes up when I load the encryption, its a very weird machine right now, I have two, I am not confident enough to buy more at this point.... anyone else having issues?

1 Message

July 15th, 2011 08:00

I am getting the same thing on the image I created for the 6420. Windows 7 64bit. I installed the FF Sensor driver from Dell, sysprepped and created image - when I apply the image the machine throws the Error Handle error and there is Unknown Device in Device Manager - which is the Accelerometer (ACPI\SMO8800). So uninstall and reinstall of the device and driver does not work. I found this driver file (http://vivithemage.com/2011/05/acpi-smo8800-driver-missing-for-dell-e6410e6420e6510e6520/) and unzipped it to a folder in my Drivers folder and when I manually update the driver from Devoce Manager and point to the newly created folder it updates and I have no more issues upon rebooting and no more bangs in Device Manager. Should not have to do this.

37 Posts

July 20th, 2011 07:00

"I am getting the same thing on the image I created for the 6420. Windows 7 64bit. I installed the FF Sensor driver from Dell, sysprepped and created image - when I apply the image the machine throws the Error Handle error and there is Unknown Device in Device Manager - which is the Accelerometer (ACPI\SMO8800). So uninstall and reinstall of the device and driver does not work. I found this driver file (http://vivithemage.com/2011/05/acpi-smo8800-driver-missing-for-dell-e6410e6420e6510e6520/) and unzipped it to a folder in my Drivers folder and when I manually update the driver from Devoce Manager and point to the newly created folder it updates and I have no more issues upon rebooting and no more bangs in Device Manager. Should not have to do this."
Agreed. The 6x20 launch is the worst I've ever seen. The Nvidia driver issue, simple issues in BIOS configuration that should have been caught in QA, missing configuration options in utilities, etc. Thankfully Warren has been really helpful in getting things escalated.

1.1K Posts

August 29th, 2011 23:00

5 Posts

May 8th, 2012 09:00

"Error Handle" message: Got this on an E6400 running W7 off a fresh generic

Win 7-32 image. The ICON gave it away! Using Spybot I found FF_Protection.exe (FreeFallProtection) running at startup. Then in Programs and Features there it was:  AccellerometerP11 by STMicroelectronics. I uninstalled this and rebooted. No more "Error Handle" message! I don't think this E6400 had this circuitry (didn't see any 'bangs' in Device Mgr.)  but if you need the driver use the link Warren posted. Thanks all for posting all this. I found enough hints to fix the issue!

-Rich in CLE OH

281 Posts

September 4th, 2012 06:00

same error "no handle"  on both our 6430 AND 6530.  teh accelerometer software does not seem to change anything as i get the error whether the software is on there or not.

need a solution for this QUICK...otherwise dell is NOT getting my go-ahead for purchase.

No Events found!