Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2014 11:00

Updating Dell Cab Driver Packages in SCCM 2012 R2

So importing a new Cab Driver Package is painless and easy, but what now when Dell releases an updated Cab?

I cannot find any instructions on the best way to remove the older versions once the most recent has been added.

December 31st, 2014 23:00

Hi Brachus - thank you for choosing Dell and using driver cab.

Firstly, all driver installation relies on an OS-driver mechanism. WDS[MDT/SCCM] and other tools facilitate the "push" of drivers (driver cab) to the target machines. But the OS uses some algorithms to determine the best fit when it detects a device.

Secondly, removing a driver for the storage for example will crash the OS. Also some drivers rely on others and the order of installation is apparently important. WDS[MDT/SCCM] or any other tool can't determine that order but since you already have these drivers in your machine (upgrade), the dependecy related failure will be reduced as compared to a fresh installation of drivers on an OS-only-installed machine. Hence removing manually completely and then upgrading is not always a good option.

The most recommended way is to allow the OS-based mechanism means use the upgrade option in device manager or deploy via WDS etc. So if you wanted to install just one driver out of our cab you can extract the drivers and upgrade using device manager(devmgmt.msc). There are a few utilities like pnputil or DPInst(available in driver kit only) that could also help you.

Hope that clarifies. Wishing you a great year ahead!!!

1 Rookie

• 

38 Posts

January 2nd, 2015 05:00

Sorry - that does not help at all. I guess I was not specific enough in my original post.

I have already imported the E6420 version A11 driver CAB into SCCM with the DCIP.

I have just imported the E6420 version A12 driver CAB into SCCM.

What is the best way to remove the A11 CAB from SCCM so I do not fill up my SCCM drive with old driver CABs.

January 5th, 2015 05:00

Hi Brachus,

Thanks, the question is clear now and i hope this answer helps you. Firstly, we do not have an option to "rollback" in DCIP as of now. So we are left with cleaning that manually. You may do one of the below..

1) If you are currently supporting only 1 platform, and you will usually have "A newer cab" everytime, then the best thing to do is clean the older cab entirely. Two places we have to clean (a) In sccm console, open software library and under 'Driver packages' you should find "Dell System cab driver package" folder(if you used dcip) under this you should have the older cab mentioned. Delete it from the right hand side pane. Right-click delete or you may use the toolbar, you get the "delete' option when you select the target driver cab on the right hand side. In additon to this, to ensure setup is completely clean, you also have to select the "Drivers" node on the left and it would show you all drivers available, delete all of them. In effect now all imported drivers are expected to be cleaned up from DP.

2) If you are supporting more than 1 platform then you can't clean up all drivers(hazardous for other platforms). You can follow previous point partially, by deleting the driver cab from driver packages. After that you have to delete individual drivers from the "Drivers" node to actually delete it. This is tricky, in that you should know which driver has to be deleted. First you can see the "categories" to identify the platform. Here too you can delete all drivers for that platform even if it is shared by another platform (SCCM 2012 automatically points to the correct source path). To determine which specific drivers you can clean, you can note the driver changes based on the report that we publish in our techcenter that shows the difference between the previous cab and the current cab. Remember the source path has to be cleaned up manually after the drivers are removed. Example below

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/latitude-e6420-windows-7-driver-cab

No Events found!