Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2010 02:00

Wipe BIOS of asset tag.

Here is yet another one for you to grab on to :-)

So eventually, the Dell system is scheduled for destruction/reuse by an different company than mine. Now, securing that the HHD is blank is but an application away blacno, Ibas or something cheaper like Ultimate Boot CD ...

BUT. We extensively use asset tag in bios for Computer name. And THAT is something I really don't want to have in the PC when shipping them for recycling.. Call me paranoid but still.

There must be an way for us to wipe that information too? Right?

Br

118 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 14:00

You can definitely use the Dell Client Configuration Toolkit, or if you have OMCI installed, you could run a VBScript to remove it. You can probably also use the DCCU to wipe it.

How do you currently set the asset tag in bios? manually? with a script?

18 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 23:00

"You can definitely use the Dell Client Configuration Toolkit, or if you have OMCI installed, you could run a VBScript to remove it. You can probably also use the DCCU to wipe it.

How do you currently set the asset tag in bios? manually? with a script?"
We set this manually. Was thinking about having the CFI doing that for us - however, understatement, complicated... :) Manual way - for now, best way....

Wiping: OMCI - I believe we have that pushed to all Clients now Thru CM. However, I'm thinking, Bootable USB Stick.. POW !!!!! Removed, wiped disk and off the machine goes :) DCCT has dependencies? Hmm PE USB Boot would be an option - and you have shown how to configure client from PE... Back to the drawing board . :)

118 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 00:00

you can use the CCTK -I belive there instructions for how to integrate the CCTK into WinPE - you'll find them in the CCTK guide. So you could integrate into WinPE, and then modify winpe to automatically run the commands ont he local system to wipe the info.
No Events found!